Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijackthis log [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Thank you for the donation 'tis appreciated :thumbsup:

OK so lets have a quick check on the status of both systems

The windows 7 which has MSE on now - is that functioning correctly ? Any problems at all on that one

For the XP how is it behaving now - is the game problem still appparent, also how is the speed

There is no real difference between XP home or Pro

Advertisements

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Windows 7 seems fine.

Windows Xp it seems faster yes. It is not like it was before they reinstalled windows, that one was our fast computer now it is way slower then the windows 7 and all the programs are gone, almost nothing on it. The game Everquest task person still give me a blank task window without the selections.

Maybe I should try deleting those files again if I can remember which ones, I know one was utilities folder.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets call the 7 done for now.. You will find that 7 is the fastest operating system so far, it does put XP to shame. I will remove all my tools at the end in one fell swoop :)

Ref Everquest.. Uninstall the entire programme and start from scratch, I am not sure from my reading whether the progress is save online or on your computer

First copy all the Everquest folders to a new folder on your desktop so that you know where they are, then if the saved games are there you can copy them back
Make a note of your user name and password (save them to a text file on your desktop)
Then Uninstall the programme via Control Panel add/remove
Go here and download the startup files by pressing the "Play Freee" button
Reinstall the programme
Does that cure the inventory problem ?

What programmes are you missing from the XP ? I can provide download links to the programmes or free alternatives if you wish

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you, I am reinstalling now, looks like it will be a long while 7,800MB on a pretty slow computer.

Edited by CBon, 22 April 2012 - 02:44 PM.

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have my 2 computers connected to the internet with a router linksys I have had for many years, can the router age or quality slow my internet speed?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No the age of the router is not a real problem, it is the ISP download speed that I always find causing me grief :)

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well strange enough reloading the whole game still did not fix the problem on the task window.

I did copy and reload all the .ini files so the char settings would be kept, maybe the problem is in those files you think?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It may be could you zip and attach them so I can have a gander

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok hope I did that right...don't even know if I put them back in the EQ folder right. When I did paste them in, it mentioned that there was already a sky.ini (that was not the whole name I think) in the folder and do I want to overwrite it I said yes to all so didn't see if there was others.

Now when i copied the files to put in a zip folder for you it again asked me about overwriting the sky.ini and the folder was a new empty folder so that seems weird to me.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Does really - I will have a rummage around and see what I can find out

Meanwhile lets tidy the systems up and remove my tools

There will be one for the windows 7 and one for XP

Windows 7

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point
  • Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create

Now we can purge the infected ones
  • GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:
Posted Image
Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

Keep safe :wave:

Windows XP

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

Advertisements

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I did all the windows 7, finished.

I am sorry, I got the 2 computers mixed up and I did the first stuff for windows 7 on the XP.
Where i got to the part run as administrator, it does not give me that selection so since I assumed I AM the administrator I did it like it was and it froze and said it had to close when I ran it. Now I can't type in the post reply on this website on that computer...I am sorry I did something really bad didn't I?:-(

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you reboot the XP and let me know what the problem is with it please

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Nothing seems wrong I simply cannot reply on here with that computer it will not let me type. I can type in the address bar above and on a blog but not on here and not on my spell check website.

Shall I just go ahead with the rest of the XP instructions?

So all I did was set a restore point named Clean
Select run as current user..which then closes with a sys problem message.

Can't be anything bad right? But sorry if I had followed your instructions to the letter I would have realized it was the wrong computer.

Edited by CBon, 23 April 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Can you type normall y apart from within IE ? Also does it give a sys file name

CBon

CBon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hey I can type on here again!!
Sorry I did not understand, I don't know what IE is but it fixed itself :-)

So when I went

Start > All programs > Accessories > system tools
Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator (not a choice so oked run as current user) it said
Disk Space Cleanup manager has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Everything should be ok right because I was not supposed to do that on XP anyway. I have run into that thing before where someone says a program must be run as administrator, but XP does not give me that option on right click.

Edited by CBon, 23 April 2012 - 03:50 PM.