Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor, Keyboard and mouse not working but the CPU is on

• Please log in to reply

saptarshid10

saptarshid10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Recently I am facing a problem. It all started when I was surfing the net. Suddenly the monitor goes black, Keyboard off, mouse off but the CPU light was still on and all the fans were spinning. I tried to restart and after 2 or 3 attempts it started. Then the frequency of this kind of sudden black outs increased.
Now when I am trying to switch it on, the CPU light starts, mouse and keyboard flicker once and goes blank,no display, CPU fan and graphics card fan spins in a speed lower than normal as if they are not doing anything.
I have taken case cover off and blew out dust.
I have taken out the RAM and tried to start the MB. It started with 3 beep sound.
I have taken out the video card and reinserted properly.
As far as I know about machines, I guess its not the problem with the graphics card as the mouse and keyboard is also not working. And yes, the DVD R/W is working fine when the CPU light is glowing. I mean the DVD tray is coming out when I am clicking the button.
System configuration:
MotherBoard: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHZ D946GZIS
RAM: 2+1 GB DDR2
HDD: 1 TB
Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce 9400GT 1GB
Monitor: LED
Keyboard: PS2
Mouse: USB optical mouse
Please please let me know what is the solution.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you checked your PSU (Power Supply Unit), it might be on the way out. If you can borrow one to test your pc with it you can see if the symptons are still there with a known good working PSU.

Hope that helps

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there a spot on the motherboard itself to connect the monitor cable? If so, I suggest taking out the video card and connecting your monitor to that.

Also, have you tried a CMOS battery reset? Another good thing to try.

Also, when testing, I would take absolutely everything out of the case (or at least disconnect) and have just the motherboard and video cable plugged in, along with only the keyboard (mouse isn't needed for POST) and go from there. If it works that way, then you try connecting items in one at a time until you find the culprit.

prabhe

prabhe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Me too have this same problem...When i switch on my pc ie.,When i ON my UPS both cpu and monitor getting power supply.when i switch on my CPU, HARD DISK and FAN are running but KEYBOARD and MONITOR is not working.
NOTE:
1.when CPU is in switch-ON i unplug the monitor cable at back of CPU,then monitor power light turn to green.again if i inserted monitor cable in to cpu monitor power light turns to red.
2.Before this problem i switched of my pc without proper shut downing during the adobe flash player updating process.and my Anti virus Microsoft essential has "XP not geniue" problem.
3.after this problem,i removed Cmos battery and inserted,then when i SWITCH ON, i got a scratched display then monitor display paused
4.ANOTHER time i removed harddisk,ram and i cleaned everything,then my pc works properly and at the same day evening monitor and keyboard not worked.

Help me lovable Friends...

Edited by prabhe, 10 November 2012 - 02:23 AM.