Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning off the information bar - IE 8 Win XP

• Please log in to reply

anderson.david

anderson.david

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am running IE 8 on a Win XP computer. I keep getting this annoying little yellow pop-up every 5 seconds with an annoying bleep sound. I have done EVERYTHING it says to turn off the information bar in the "help" section, but NOTHING works ... I realize that IE8 may be a piece of crap, but assuming I don't choose another browser o(or smash my computer into little pieces)- is there a way to aCTUALLY turn off the information bar?
What DOESN'T WORK:
-clearing the "show information bar when pop-up is blocked"
-Putting "enable" on the ActiveX for "automatic prompting for ActiveX controls"

Please tell what does work.
Thank you.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi anderson.david,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I believe you are talking about the Security Warning bar that displays at the top of the page. To disable this feature try the following:

Click on Tools > Internet options > Security > look for Custom level button > look for Display mixed content: and choose Enable

Let us know if that helps.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 22 April 2012 - 11:36 AM.