Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mal/spy ware may be causing limited/no computer response [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I spoke to my co-worker and she said go ahead with the memory upgrade.

Good decision.

Do you recommend a company for the memory purchase.

Crucial is good but there are several out there. Just go with a name you recognize that shows the memory with an exact match to what the tool recommends as far as the specs are concerned.

You might even be able to pick the memory up at a computer thrift store in your local area as used memory that is tested good for a great price.

You have been a real pleasure to work with.

As have you...thank you :thumbsup:

I will get back with by Thursday night with the status.

I will be around but later that evening than normal.

Regards,

CompCav

Advertisements

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
What a workout this part has been. The memory has not yet arrived. The IE 8 and JavaRa would not download an non corrupted file set. I used another computer to download the files and a thumb drive to transfer the files to this unit. Each file ran and completed now. I have ran javaRa the remove old without much issue, but I java must have been old on the equipment, so we had to go to website and manually get the java update file. I believe all the software is now completed that you have asked me to do. The system works and I hope the added memory improves the performance.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks for the update and I will be here when the memory comes in.

CompCav

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Evening, the memory has not arrived yet and my co-worker requested I return the machine.(I have had it for two weeks), so I returned it to all see how it would perform at her location. What agony it was waiting for the unit to come on line. The log on screen occurred in about the same time as here at the house – from that point, nearly two hours before the software she wanted to run appeared. Nearly 15 minutes for a screen refresh. The Avast! icon gives the appearance of stalling when it begins its revolution.

I explained that the additional (new 512) memory should allow more software to load and not cause the machine to read and write every instruction to the hard drive.

My co-worker stated that the equipment had performed better in earlier days. I may be wrong here, but I told her the next step, since she really can’t afford to by a new machine right now, would be to uninstall much of the game stuff. I know you aren’t the guy to fix the installation of useless software. Do you feel I should proceed with un-installing software she doesn’t use after I install the memory?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Do you feel I should proceed with un-installing software she doesn’t use after I install the memory?

I can help with this let me post the first two steps:

Step 1.

Please download CCleaner from here.

Double click on the file to install CCleaner.
During the install it may ask you to install a toolbar, uncheck the toolbar install, we do not want it!
Once it is installed it will run.
When it gets to the main screen, click on the Tools button on the left.
Click on the Startup button.
The windows tab should be showing, click on the Save to text file... button.
Click on Desktop and save startup.txt.
Double click on startup.txt to open it with Notepad.
Click Edit >> Select all >> Edit >> Copy .
Right click in the reply box to post in your topic. Click Paste

Then post your reply.

Do not use the registry editor in CCleaner. Registry cleaners at best do nothing and at worst can render your computer unbootable.

Reply post:

Please restart CCleaner and go to Tools >> Startup
1. Click on each line listed below in CCleaner, make sure you are on the right one..
2. Then click Disable.

Repeat these two steps for each line below.

Once you are finished verify that all of the lines listed above are in faint grey.
Close CCleaner.

Reboot your computer and see how it performs.

Step 2.

Download and extract autoruns from this page onto your desktop.

Then run autoruns.

Make sure the Everything tab is showing then save the file autoruns.arn on your desktop. File > Save > autoruns check 1, it will save as an .arn file.
Please zip this file then attach it to your next post.

Step 3.

Please post the CCleaner log

Please attach the zipped autoruns log

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I will need to get the computer back from my co-worker, and I have class tomorrow night, so I 'll have an logs to post by Friday (I'll shoot for Wednesday if the memory arrives.)

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I picked up the computer and the memory arrived today as well. I will install the memory this evening (after I review the update steps) and then start the clean up. My co-worker wants me to tell you "You Rock!"

I'll post the results this weekend.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
:thumbsup:

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
The memory install when so easy! Yes, it did make a difference. I was not able to download the AutoRuns directly to this machine, however, I did use my laptop and transfer it to this machine. Posted are the CC file and attached is the arm zip.

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:RunOnce FlashPlayerUpdate C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10s_ActiveX.exe -update activex
Yes HKLM:Run avast "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
Yes HKLM:Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes Startup User PdaNet Desktop.lnk C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\PdaNetPC.exe

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I did not get the attachment.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I transferred this to my laptop, but I may not have pushed all the checks on the other computer. I see there was an Attach this file button on the screen here. Attached File  AutoRuns check 1.zip   66.39KB   295 downloads

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks the autoruns is more thorough and will give us more opportunity to minimize things in memory that are optional.

This list includes google updates, so to make sure they are updated in my closing I will suggest installing the FileHippo update checker and it will need to be run periodically and updates downloaded and installed but being careful not to add things that are unnecessary or that autostart.

That said here is the list to uncheck:

Ok run autoruns again. When it finishes scanning, uncheck the following items and reboot:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched" "Java™ Update Scheduler" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"

+ "FlashPlayerUpdate" "Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 10.3 r181" "Adobe Systems, Inc."

+ "Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" "Java™ Platform SE binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll"
+ "Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper" "Java™ Platform SE binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll"
+ "JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class" "Java™ Quick Starter binary" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll"

+ "GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "gupdate" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it." "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
+ "gupdatem" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it." "Google Inc." "c:\program files\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "catchme" "" "" "File not found: C:\ComboFix\catchme.sys"

After the reboot give me an update on the computer performance.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I am a bit late getting back to you as I hurt my foot. Doing well now, but running between computers is tough! The memory upgrade made a difference for me. I have completed the autoruns recommendation and will be installing the FileHippo update checker this evening. The computer doesn’t like to take downloads from my internet connection (cell phone) so I need to manually transfer the files to the computer with a thumb drive. I will be printing the autoruns file and asking my co-worker not to change the setting but run the updater once a month. She should have better speed as she has cable services for Internet. I should be able to return the equipment to my co-worker on Friday for a response from her that evening.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I suspect it will be fine given your experience since installing the memory and disabling the unnecessary autoruns. :thumbsup: