Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME freezing

• Please log in to reply

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I have a 1300mhz Athlon, with 384mb memory amd NVidia 5200 graphics card.

When the computer is left inactive for about 10 minutes, it freezes. CTL/ALT/DEL doesn't work & I have to reset by pressing reset button.

It runs scandisk on reboot and sometimes I have to restore Active Desktop, sometimes not.

Any ideas, please

Advertisements

jkpj13

jkpj13

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
There's a couple of reasons your computer may be freezing:

1. You have a virus
2. Your power supply is failing (this happend to me, I had the same symptoms)
3. Because you're using Windows Millennium Edition

Windows ME was the worst version of Windows ever. Did you just upgrade from Windows 98 or 95 and then start having the problems? If you did, you probably caused more bad then good. :tazz:

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying.

I dont think I have a virus. This computer is not connected to the internet (subject of another request in Networking Forum re ICS)

ME has been installed for about 9 months. Latest addition is the NVIDIA Graphics card and additional memory (though it was freezing prior to memory addition)

Any other thoughts greatfully received

Scenix

Scenix

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

Someone suggested to me that device drivers maybe the problem - have you checked they are compatible with WinME?

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I do have aproblem with device drivers for Belkin USB Wireless adapter. Ndinst.exe keeps having a problem and the add hardware wizard does not complete. However, basic network will work (other computers visible) and the freezing happened before this installation.

I have virus scanned (nothing) and reinstalled ME. also defagged Hard disk and had Norton check it.

thanks again for your thoughts

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Defragged not defagged

Sorry