Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dear God help me!

• Please log in to reply

David Burnett

David Burnett

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been directed here after months of issues with my Internet connection and two ISP's later and assured that if the people here can't help me, noone can.

For no apparent reason in November of last year (2011) my Internet connection began cutting on and off on a regular basis. Every half hour or so and lasting sometimes for days before coming back on. So began six months of trying to get to the bottom of it. At the time I had Sky broadband in
place and whilst we went through all the trouble shooting stuff and they sent out a Sky engineer and a week later, a BT engineer who replaced routers, filters, power cables etc... They said everything was fine. Long story short I swapped to Virgin an had the same stuff done with no success an am now with Talk Talk. They sent an engineer out last week and like all the others, say everything is fine and can't understand it.

On the odd occasion when the Internet is on, download speed goes to a fraction of 1MB per second, basically taking weeks to download so much as a single music track. This is driving me insane and I really now just want to get tithe bottom of this. PLEASE help!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello David Burnett.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Just for arguments sake have you updated your nic card drivers?
Do you know what nic card you have and speed it has?
Is it onboard or is it a add on card?

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there

Thanks for the reply, the system is a laptop. A HP Compaq Presario CQ-71 403SA.
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.
Installed memory is 4.00 GB of RAM and has a 64 bit operating system.
Hard drive has 453 GB capacity and 318GB Is still free. The processor is pentium dual core CPU T4400 @ 2.20 ghz.

Please bear with me, I'm in no way technically gifted, just a guy who needs some help getting to the bottom I it. In 'device manager' it says my nic card is a 'Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20). It's location is PCI bus 3. That's all I know, it also says this device is disabled.

I have had four engineers out including a BT engineer who all say the wifi is fine but I'm still having problems.

Please help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Nic or Network entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

I have enabled it as it wasn't enabled but is making no difference.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK we're getting somewhere now.
Go back to Device Manager and uninstall the nic now and reboot. Hopefully when the system boots back into windows it will find and install the drivers correctly.

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I'll do that when I get back from work. Just to clarify, what would you suggest is the best way to re-boot? (sorry, as I said... I'm not great with computers.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to start and the shutdown. When you click that there should be a restart option.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

Apologies for the late reply and no, I haven't had the issue resolved. We had another BT engineer out and as with Sky, Talk Talk and BT have essentially washed their hands of it and said there is nothing wrong with the line so they can't help us. To be honest we're just thinking about cancelling it and not having the internet.

David

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say the it may be a nic problem then with your system. If they both say the line and signal are good then the issue is either the nic in the laptop or the router you are connecting to. Is it a wireless connection or are you hard wired into the router?

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The lines have been checked a number of times so I'm fairly confident its not that. I have used the USB cable between the laptop and the router to see if it's the wireless thats the probelm but it still persists so its not that.

The router has been changed multiple times between the different ISP providers I've had since the problem began last November so unless I've been incredibly unfortunate with multiple routers, I doubt its the router.

Just to remind you, even when the laptop is off, the orange light on the router to say the internet connection is down, remains on. My point being that if it was the NIC card, would the problem not stop when the laptop was turned off?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure that orange light is for the internet down or is it there is no active connection to the router from the laptop?
Have you tried to have a friend come over and use their laptop hard wiring it to the router to see if the orange light goes off?

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
In all honesty I'm not sure but will bring a friends tonight to test it. Incidentally I have also tried connecting my PS3 to the wireless but that keeps losing connection too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Has it ever worked correctly with either the laptop or the PS3?