Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dear God help me!

• Please log in to reply

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, up unitl roughly November of last year it worked fine then the problems started. I was with Sky were the ISP at the time. They sent out their own engineers plus a BT engineer, couldn't find any problems and basically washed their hands of the whole situation.

We then thought if we change ISP it might fix things, it hasn't. They (TAlk Talk)have sent out two of their own engineers plus a BT engineer and they say they can't see the problem either.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did they test from outside the house clear to the router for signal strength and level?
What about hard reset of the router?
Did they do anything with your laptop at all to make sure everything was set right there?

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
They went to the junction box all the way back to the exchange which is about two miles from my house. Signal was decent enough, 6meg per second. I don't think they did anything with the router and they didn't touch my laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets check the router itself.

What you need to do is what is referred to as "power cycling" your modem. To do this, do the following:
  • Turn off all computers connected to the router.
  • Unplug the power cords from the back of the modem and from the back of the router.
  • Wait at least five minutes.
  • Plug the power cord into the modem and wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Plug the power cord into the router and, again, wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Power on the computer and try to connect to the Internet with it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found this basic instructionns for resetting everything back to factory settings with the router and modem.

To factory restore a wireless network:

1. Unplug power from your modem
2. Unplug power from your router
3. Click on "Start"
4. Click on "Run"
5. Type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
6. Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
7. Select "Properties" and this will open the Wireless Network Connection Properties window
8. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab
9. On the "Wireless Networks" tab at the very top make there is a check in the box for "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings"
10. On the "Wireless Networks" tab under the "Preferred Networks" section Select each broadcast and then click the Remove Button for each one
11. After they are all removed click the Ok button and you will be back at the "Network Connections" window.
12. Shut down the computer
13. Plug power into the router
14. On the back of the router locate the Factory restore button (should be a tiny button located inside a tiny hole
15. Press and hold the button in for about 1 minute, or until the lights on the router start blinking rapidly
16. Let off the button and wait for the router to resume normal operation
17. Unplug power from your router
18. Plug power into the modem
19. Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation for the lights.
20. Plug power into the router
21. Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation for the lights.
22. Turn the computer on... wait for it to boot all the way up
23. Click on "Start"
24. Click on "Run" and type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
25. Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
26. Select "View available Wireless Networks"
27. Click the "Refresh Network List" link on the left
28. Now on the right side of the window you should see your broadcast (will be a default ssid not what you had before - if you even changed it before)
29. Left Click on your SSID once and then Click the "Connect" button down below
30. It should now say "Acquiring Network Address" and then it should say "Connected" and the button at the bottom will say "Disconnect"... this means you are connected.

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh right, my apologies but I wasn't sure what you meant. I have done this a number of times without any success. Often it will stay on for a little while (10-15 mins)but it never stays on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a router and a modem or just a router\Gateway?

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Apologies again but I'm not sure, Its a small white box, it has 4 lan ports on the back for wired connection to devices, plus its connected by wire to the phone line and the power cable. I've always thought it was just a router but perhaps I'm wrong. It's this one...

http://www.google.co...PJtMnLDw&zoom=1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is a modem and not a router.
Try the steps in post 20 and see if it helps. If not then try a friends system hard wired to the modem.

David Burnett

David Burnett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok thanks I finish work in 2 hours, I'll try then and let you know. Thanks again for your help, its been incredibly frustrating.

Advertisements