Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first mid-range gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

bobothesmart

bobothesmart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm using a 7 year-old Dell XPS computer that has been great for my needs, but recently I've been having a lot of problems editing video in Adobe Premiere and also a lot of lag with games like Civilization V. I've looked into upgrading what I have, but it looks like the motherboard is going to be a stumbling block to upgrading the video card, etc., so I'm seriously considering building my own. My gaming requirements aren't extensive (games like Civ V are my speed - I don't do any MMORPGs or anything of that sort), but I do some video and picture editing via Photoshop and Premiere. I'd also like to keep the price between $550 and $650.
Since this is my first time, should I go with a barebones kit available from tigerdirect, amazon, etc., or is it a lot more economical to buy all parts separately? Also, any recommendations for configurations that might fit my needs and price? You do not need to include the OS or monitor in the price limit I listed. I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday bobothesmart,Posted Image.

No to a bare-bones, You will get what you want by configuring your own build.

Have look at this site which will give you an idea of the type of rig I think you need for your stated goals.
http://www.hardware-...-december-2011/

At your price point you are going to be somewhat limited in the performance result but we can put together a rig that you could enhance over the next couple of years.

Can you bring other parts to the build, mouse, keyboard, burner and especially SATA hard drives?

In which country would you be purchasing your parts?

I hope your OS is 64bit as this allows you to install as much RAM as you can afford.

bobothesmart

bobothesmart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.

I've put together two builds. Both are slightly over what I want to pay, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

intel Build:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155
Mobo: ASRock LGA1155/ Intel P67/ DDR3/ Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard, P67 PRO3 SE
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB (256 bit) GDDR5 Eyefinity DisplayPort HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express X16 2.1 Video Card - H685FN1GD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002
Optical: LG Electronics 22X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive GH22NS90B (Black) - Bulk without Software
Power Supply: SilverStone Strider 500W, 80 PLUS, Active PFC Power Supply ST50F-ES (Black)
Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 No Power Supply ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)
RAM: Any suggestions on what to get in 8GB?

This configuration is $633 before the RAM - higher than I want, but I might be able to make it work. What are your thoughts on this? It is important that it leave s a little room for upgrading in the future. (If I upgrade the GPU, I'd just get a better one instead of doing the SLI route).

AMD build:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
Mobo: Asus Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard (M5A97)
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB (256 bit) GDDR5 Eyefinity DisplayPort HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express X16 2.1 Video Card - H685FN1GD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002
Optical: LG Electronics 22X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive GH22NS90B (Black) - Bulk without Software
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 500-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-500CXV2
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PG38G1600EL

This build is $670.

To answer your question, I'd be getting this in the US, and yes, I have Windows 7 in 64bit.

Any thoughts on these two builds? (Or how to shave a little money off of them?)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry for the delay, have a friend with health problems but will get back to you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

I recommend you stay with an Intel build as t gives you a much better upgrade path. For you Photo/Video, you need a CPU with Hyper Threading. Given the budget, the selected i3 is the best option and it does have Intel 3000 integrated graphics. The Mobo only has 1 PCI-E x 16 slot x 3.0. You could upgrade the CPU later to 2600K or 3770K Ivy Bridge. If you had any parts you could swap in from another rig, it would save some money. Ypgrade suggested later, at least one more HDD, preferable 3 , set up RAID5.
An external backup drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7zXc

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
How is your selection going?
An update would be appreciated.