Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting My Recent Documents ?

• Please log in to reply

kelly1

kelly1

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a few questions, as a part of my usual cleaning routine should I be deleting my recent documents as well ? I have over 1000 files in my recent documents along with a bunch of folders, most of the files are resized photo's.

Normally my routine goes like this:

Start-Run-cleanmgr-Temp files.

Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-Delete Browsing History.

Start-Run-%temp%

Empty Recycle Bin.

Also how do I find My Recent Documents ? currently the only way I can find my recent documents is through a browse window at a website like Photobucket, whenever I use my photo resizer it sends the new resized photo to my recent documents, I've looked everywhere on my computer but haven't been able to find my recent documents except through a browse window, is there another way to find it ?

Edited by kelly1, 22 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

kelly1

kelly1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
DeletingMyRecentDocuments2 (600 x 450).jpg

alexander caldwell

alexander caldwell

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Are they actual files or just shortcuts to the actual file? You can find out whether they are shortcuts by right clicking the file and selecting the properties. It will then tell you whether the file is a short cut in the general tab, or it will only have a shortcut tab and you will not be able to access the file if it was deleted.

If you frequently use the shortcuts than you can keep them, otherwise delete the shortcuts. This will not make your system noticeably faster or slower, but will remove some clutter making scans and defragments run faster.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307875

kelly1

kelly1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks alexander caldwell and thanks Troy for that link, now that you mention it I'm getting the impression they are shortcuts, I'll post a screenshot of what I'm seeing when I follow your directions. the only time I use my recent documents is whenever I use my photo resizer it sends the resized photo there, I can usually find the most recent item at the bottom of the pile, but occasionally if I resize more than five photos some of them go missing, it would help if my recent documents was empty, so is it safe to delete everything in my recent documents without harming the originals ?

ShortcutsMyRecentDocuments (600 x 450).jpg

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
They are shortcuts. You can tell because the icons for them has an arrow in the bottom left corner.

Also, all Recent documents are only shortcuts to the location of where the files are. It is just meant to be a convenient place to see what you last opened instead of trying to navigate throughout your computer trying to locate the file(s).

***And yes, you can go ahead and clear the recent documents using the steps in the link Troy posted previous if you desire, without worry of any ill effects happening to your computer because of it.

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2012 - 08:23 PM.

kelly1

kelly1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wonderful thank you Fenor, this will make it so much easier :thumbsup:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you're really worried about it, just make sure you have backups. In fact, have a recent backup anyway. :)