Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's a good cooling pad for my laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
-Acer Aspire 5542
-AMD Turion II x2 M500
(2.2 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
-ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics
Up to 1919MB Hypermemory
-15.6" HD LED LCD
-4GB Memory
-500 GB HDD

Basically my computer overheats a lot. Here's a print screen of the CPU temperature with this software I used:

Posted Image

What would be a good cooling pad that could hold the temperature down and keep it down so that it won't overheat again?

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
A cooling pad is a good idea if you are in a very warm climate but one should only be used along side a notebook that has been cleaned out of heat trapping dust first, using a cooling pad does not remove the need for at least a partial clean using canned compressed air http://www.walmart.c...oz-Can/14931442 only a partial disassembly is recommended by anyone other than a Tech or suitably competant person, see pages 41 to 47 for the only things that you need to remove for cleaning your notebook http://support.acer....17_09172009.pdf only use short blasts in through each available opening.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have cleaned out the fan as recent as last week, yet it keeps overheating. This problem has been going on since last September. I'm getting very tired of it obviously, lol. For whatever reason, when I'm in my dorm only then does it start to overheat where ever I take it. I'm not sure why. However, when I'm at home no overheating occurs. I've posted a few threads about my laptop freezing, at first, because I thought it was probably due to some other reason.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
This new information may suggest a problem with the power supply in your dorm.
Have you tried using the notebook anywhere else other than the dorm or at home and if so what was the outcome please.
If you know anyone with a UPS you could borrow you could see if that helps, an example http://www.newegg.co...N82E16842101349
If it is the power supply in the dorm it will be damaging your notebook each time that you use it, another possible cause is the ambient temperature there - how hot is it and how well ventilated is the room.

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I've used it in the lounge, and it's crashed there too.

Let me explain how it overheats: the laptop doesn't completely shut off. What happens is that it freezes for about 2minutes. And while it's frozen, say I was listening to music or playing a game, as soon as it overheats the sound of the music or whatever is slowed down tremendously as I listen to it from my headphones.

The ventilation is not at its best. The windows are open, however, my computer is not exposed to it fully. When it overheats, I touch the fan and I could tell that it's pretty hot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That leaves the ambient temperature and the CPU fan itself not working correctly - does the fan sound like it is running ok?
A cooler for you http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834994787 a tip for you is to remove the memory cover on the bottom of the case to allow the air to circulate more freely (keep the cover somewhere safe).
Two final things I need to ask, when you did the recent clean out did you remove the Ram and blow out the slot/s and do you only use the notebook on a flat, firm and even surface and not placed on the lap or on top of soft furnishings such as a cushion or quilt etc.

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
The fan is definitely running. It's not loud, so I assume that that's ok. I cleaned my fan about 2 weeks ago. I used compressed air to blow out the dust from the fan. I did remove the RAM cards, but I didn't blow the slots of the RAM. Yes, I use it on a flat surface (on a wooden table to be exact).

Could you be more specific about the memory cover? Is this where the RAM cards are?

Also, what's your opinion of this fan? http://www.google.co...ed=0CK8BEPMCMAQ . I was doing some research on fans a few days ago, and I heard many good things about it.

Edited by Apocalypse_VC, 25 April 2012 - 01:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The Targus is a good cooler and is also a good price :thumbsup:

See attached .jpeg for the Ram cover;

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So, would you recommend me buying the Targus over the Rosewill?

And would the measurements of my laptop matter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Close one due to the difference in the cost, read the reviews at Newegg to help you decide on the Targus http://www.newegg.co...rgus-_-34997737

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thank you! I appreciate your help. Hopefully this fixes it. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:
I made the very same suggestion to another member recently regarding removing the Ram cover and it worked - no more freezes even when gaming.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

NB: Try removing the Ram cover while you are waiting to receive your cooling pad to see if just that makes a difference.

Systemuath

Systemuath

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would either go for Rosewill Cooling pad or Arctic NC.