Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Biuld with £1000 cap.

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok so I'm a total noob when it come to PC building, and to be frank I am finding the the experience rather overwhelming, so I thought I'd call on the advice of some seasoned professionals. ;)

I am aiming for a PC build that would be primarily for music making. This involves using a lot of sequencer software which is a big CPU drain, and also some hardware equipment such as an external sound/audio interface professional speakers (which use XLR or TRS cables) and other general hardware that uses USB 2.0.

I would also like to use it for PC gaming (such as BF3, Skyrim etc) on high settings, although this isn't my main priority it would be nice to have.

Here is a list of stuff that I have put together, but I don't really know whether they are compatible, and would be best for what I want to use it for:

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/7dfA

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
  • Case: Fractal Design DEFINE R3 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
  • Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor
  • Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
  • Keyboard: Cherry STREAM XT Wired Standard Keyboard
  • Mouse: Microsoft 4YH-00001 Wired Optical Mouse

Oh, and I live in England, if that helps too :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ape-x. Posted Image

Who's software will you be using?
Is this the type of sound card you will need. http://www.m-audio.c...iophile192.html

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I will be using Fl Studios 10, and probably reason 6 and Ableton Live 8.

I was considering buying this external soundcard: http://www.gak.co.uk...arlet-2i2/52707

EDIT: Although an internal sound card would be good (less latency) they don't generally have the cables inputs that I will need (XLR, TRS)

Edited by Ape-x, 23 April 2012 - 10:05 AM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I left out some questions so I will put them here.

• What type of optical drive shall I get? I probably wouldn't want to watch DVD's or Blu-Ray on my computer, but I would be ripping CD's and playing games from disk.
  • If I get duel screen monitors, can I connect both of them up with HD cables?
  • Also, will I need a CPU cooler, or is that if you want to overclock?
Thanks.

Edited by Ape-x, 24 April 2012 - 08:19 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

• What type of optical drive shall I get? I probably wouldn't want to watch DVD's or Blu-Ray on my computer, but I would be ripping CD's and playing games from disk.
  • A. If you are not going to rip/burn/watch HD or Blu Ray, a standard DVD burner is all you need, this one, large cache, Light Scribe, and unlike most other, comes with a SATA cable.> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106335
  • If I get duel screen monitors, can I connect both of them up with HD cables?
  • A. You will be able to use 2 monitors, connections depends on the outlet ports, HDMI, DVI, Display Port are most common.
  • Also, will I need a CPU cooler, or is that if you want to over-clock?
  • A Not normally, nearly all CPUs come with a factory heat-sink and fan specificity designed to keep the CPU within its thermal requirements. Note, applies for almost all CPUs, over-clocking a CPU from moth AMD and Intel will void the warranty, so you do so at your own risk.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You have 2 screens listed, will one be for work display and the other for tools?

Edited by iammykyl, 25 April 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yea when Im making music I always run out of screen room, so it will be there to drag and drop stuff into. When it comes to gaming I expect I will be streaming both screens.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been helping a friend with health problems.

Tried to achieve the following for a DAW. quiet, powerful computing, multi threading, large amount of ram, fast HDD, large storage. Also built in as much upgrade potential as possible.

I have not included keyboard and mouse as I have gone over budget, can be addressed by building the core computer and adding at a later date.

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/7lng £1049.33 + CPU.http://www.saverstor...-CP-850-ATX-PSU £84.89

Look forward to your questions.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Wow thats a really nice build, you managed to fit an i7 into the budget somehow (kinda heh). To be honest I don't mind going over budget too much as long as I don't get carried away. Thank you for putting time and thought into this, much appreciated.

Edited by Ape-x, 27 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.

PCP is a little limited on it list of retailers so when you have decided on your final choice of parts, it is still advisable to search on the internet to see if you can get better deals.
Try using this site to search, > http://www.staticice.co.uk/

We can help you build with tutorials and tips so keep in touch and let us know your plans.

Advertisements

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for your help kyle, hope your friend is well!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks.
His name in Yngva, He had a heart attack, not major, had surgery and has been told he will make a full recovery. Much relief all roundI would not have forgiven him if he had cacked it as I need him to pilot my little Tinny.Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
How are things progressing?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Were answers to questions in your other posts OK?

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
So far the motherboard, case, CPU, disk drive, RAM and graphics card have arrived. Just waiting on the two hard drives, monitors and PSU. I'm having seconds thoughts about the hard drives though, since that particular make (according to ratings/comments) seem to break down within 1/2 years. Have you used them before?