Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Biuld with £1000 cap.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I have used them in builds for other people, no failures so far. In builds that I have helped with on G2G, no failures. In 15 years I have never had a HDD failure (any brand) on any of my personal computers. It is all a matter of the draw. I have spent thousands and thousand on various failures on cars I have owned.
Always but always backup your Data.

This article has failure rates for computer hardware including hard drives. I have not come across any more recent information. Most reliable, 1.15% Samsung SpinPoint F3 (HD103SJ) http://www.behardwar...ns-rates-5.html

Keep them there posts coming.Posted Image

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
How is the build progressing?
An update would be most welcome.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hey Kyle, I managed to set everything up alright, and nothing seems to have been faulty so I'm happy! I was surprised that I didn't get any error messages or hardware problems from improper installation seeing as it is my first rig and I didn't think it would be that easy haha. For some reason I didn't think the screens were going to be as big as they are, but I think It's because I've been used to using our old crappy monitor which looks horrible now I have accustomed to 1080 HD screens, it makes such a difference!

I downloaded Skyrim and Deus Ex and they have been working great, apart from a problem with Skyrim where a program installed with ther motherboard driver disk was conflicting with Skyrim, basically spamming the same program over and over again, overloading the CPU.

Just wanted to say thanks again, If it wasn't for the people here at geeks It would have taken me so much longer to sort out a rig of my own.

Posted Image

Edited by Ape-x, 21 May 2012 - 12:38 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That is good news, I was quite confident you would mange OK.Posted Image Hope you sorted the niggle with Skyrim. I always do a manual restore point before making alterations.

Just wanted to say thanks again, If it wasn't for the people here at geeks It would have taken me so much longer to sort out a rig of my own

Your more than welcome.

Your set-up looks stupendous, great pic.
Tidy them there cables up under the desk so you don't get your feet into them.

Thank you very much for posting back.
I would be interested in your WEI. > http://windows.micro...xperience-index

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Processor: 7.6
  • Ram: 7.6
  • Graphics: 7.8
  • Gaming graphics: 7.8
  • Primary Hard disk: 5.9 :(
  • Base Score: 5.9

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for posting your score. Shame the HDD comes in low but this is nearly always the bottleneck in a system. Upgrading to an SSD does help but in your case a 120GB may be too small.

Just some info, > http://www.image-lin...pp_underrun.htm
> http://www.propeller...micro-tutorials
>

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yea I've Already used up 100gig on my main hardrive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
When you do get an SSD, You can partition the second HDD, Programs/Data. Programs you don"t use often like Word, installed to Programs, The My Docs and Default Downloads folders are moved to Data.
Just post back when your ready.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry Micheal, that list is outdated, here's the final pick list, minus the PSU, mouse and keyboard:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£224.34 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.62 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.62 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (£120.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Antec P183 V3 ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7261S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£20.99 @ Dabs)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor (£123.07 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor (£123.07 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£67.66 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1027.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 16:00 BST+0100)

The case has a rear and top fan which I usually have set to low because it is pretty loud on med/high. I will use medium whilst playing games and post the results.

Edited by Ape-x, 24 September 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok update time. Aria is refunding me in store credit because they don't currently have what I bought in stock. They sent it off to the manufacturer after finding a fault with it but they haven't heard back from them. I would rather be buying the same graphics card from another company since Aria's customer service has been pretty awful (don't buy from there!) and I have been 35 days without a graphics card.

Regardless of that, I have to buy from there since I only have store credit. Can you recommend a card with similar specs that won't have any compatibility issues? The card (Radion 6870 HD) cost about £110 so I am looking for something similar in price.

The website is aria.co.uk

Edited by Ape-x, 12 November 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ape-x.
Sorry to see a problem with the GPU.
The 6870 is about the best in that price range. This chart will give you a good idea of performance, > http://community.fut...om/hardware/gpu
You supply site is a little limited in choice. I see your options as going to another site for another 6870 or gong up to the next level,
> http://www.aria.co.u.../Radeon+HD+7850
Get some reviews on any you consider.

Let us know what you think.

Edit.

Please post on your other topic. > http://www.geekstogo...15#entry2227241

Edited by iammykyl, 13 November 2012 - 12:26 AM.