Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

possible virus: explorer.exe crashing, general instability

• Please log in to reply

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Can I ask what it is that this stuff found?

Mostly remains of infections you had in the past and some shady toolbars.

huh, interesting. is it likely that it was causing the explorer.exe crashing problem?

Advertisements

Gammo

Gammo

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
That's hard to say. It could be, but I can't tell really.

If the problem is still there, malware didn't cause it. Then it's just a 'normal' software problem.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

That's hard to say. It could be, but I can't tell really.

If the problem is still there, malware didn't cause it. Then it's just a 'normal' software problem.

I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it keeps doing it.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
well, this is interesting, everything was good until the other day when I had a virus scan and it said that my system restore was turned off. i turned it back on and then my computer has been freezing/crashing nearly every night since. is this malware or should i try repairing my windows install?

Actually upon checking my event logs, the thing that runs just before explorer.exe crashes is the Flash Player Update service. How can I disable this and manually update?

Edited by arizuka, 25 May 2012 - 10:29 AM.

Gammo

Gammo

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts

is this malware or should i try repairing my windows install?

I didn't see any malware in your logs. Reinstalling Windows should fix the problem yes.