Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinion on barely used laptop

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I've been looking at the following laptop that my friend has for sell at his Computer Repair shop. It was his personal laptop that he barely used and only to research when he did. He wants $449.95 for it. I thought $450. was a but much for a used laptop but I know where it's been and that it was taken care of. I know little about Hardware at this time but learning more every day. Is this a good deal or not?

I would mainly use it for emailing, research, school. I am not a gamer. Well, except for a little Free Cell now and then. :blush:

HP G62-149WM Laptop
Intel i5 Quad Core M430 CPU
15.6" Wide Screen
4GB Ram
250 GB HD
DVD-RW w/Light Scribe
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
HP Web Cam
3 - USB Ports
1 - VGA Port
Media Card Reader
Realtek Ethernt
Atheros Wireless Lan b/g/n
High Definition Audio
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
MS Office 60 Day Trial
MS Works
Factory Restore Partition
w/HP Recovery Manager to create Restore DVD's

Includes all factory software

Recieved new out of the box and was used a few times.

Sells at Wal Mart for $698.00

Thank you for your opinion,

Donna :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Brand new is $550 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...P/dp/B003JE9YPQ

I'm sure if you keep searching you might be able to find it cheaper again. Offer him $300, maybe $350 max.

Also worth considering is how old is the laptop and if it is under HP warranty still - that may be worth a few dollars extra to you or not.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

if it is under HP warranty

Hey Troy. Would selling the laptop to me render the warranty void if it is still under warranty? He Got it around Christmas time and just never used it.

Edited by DonnaB, 23 April 2012 - 06:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Walmart has it for 598.00

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

He's been trying to entice me to buy his laptop since I mentioned I wanted a Win7 64-bit. I pointed out that Wal Mart had it on sale for $150. more (but I wasn't about to tell him they were not available :whistling: ) and that was with warranty as shown below:

Support & Warranty:
The HP Laptop PC has a 1-year limited hardware warranty with toll-free support
1-year free hardware technical support
30 days free limited software support with 1-year (from date of purchase) free limited software support with product registration

I told him that the only way I was going to buy his barely used laptop was if he could give me the same Warranty in writing and $100 off the price he wanted. We settled on $50 less and he wrote up a purchase agreement that included a copy of the warranty above.

I now have a brand spanking barely used HP Win7 64-bit laptop for $400 with warranty and the box it came in when purchased at Christmas time. :happy:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you have any concerns with the warranty, just contact HP direct. I'm sure the support team will help you out. In regards to HP warranty over here in Australia, I've had some HP devices change hands two or three times (between my customers) and HP have always honoured the warranty no problem. Although usually that is with the extended warranty option, not sure if that changes things.

Either way congrats on the purchase, sounds like it should be a good machine for you.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Troy,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for suggesting that I contact HP about the warranty. I will do that as soon as I can.

This is a really nice laptop. I've been taking this baby for a spin and to tell the truth I am lost!!! I never realized what a difference it would be and I don't feel comfortable. It's as if someone drove my car and they not only changed the seat settings but all the radio stations I had pre-programmed have to be reset. :upset:

I'm so glad my Vista that crashed is finally fixed. :wub:

yeah....I like the challenge! :happy:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well the harsh reality is that used hardware is generally worth 50% of the price of new. However, you have the added bonus of knowing the seller, and actual history. I'm sure the warranty will transfer, but you'll probably have to complete an online form, or contact HP to transfer it.

On the open market, $300 would be a fair price as Troy said. Given that you know the seller and history, $400 seems reasonable.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Admin,

Your opinion is highly appreciated! Thank you kindly for posting.

And yes, under no other circumstances would I have paid $400 for this used laptop or any used laptop. Another incentive is that before he decided it was too bulky for his purpose of toting around on service calls, I did get the chance to poke around a bit and a reformat was unnecessary due to no personal data installed on the HD, though he did revert the system back to factory condition before he made the final decision to sell to remove his name as computer owner.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 02 May 2012 - 05:24 AM.