Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't run POST

• Please log in to reply

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello, I'm running Win Vista HP x 64. My computer starts up fine (lights/fans work) but I can't get to the post test nor does my keyboard or mouse work. just a black screen with no video display.

Some other thread said that I had to pop out the mobo battery to reset the CMOS but I have absolutely no idea where they are on this mobo. Here are some shots of my motherboard. Maybe you guys could tell me where this battery is supposed to be. ASUS, btw.

Posted Image general view

Posted Image below gfx card

Posted Image more above gfx card

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Thee Dude! Welcome to G2G!

The CMOS Battery is silver in color and about the size of a nickel. I can't see it on any of the pictures you've posted, and I can't read the mobo model # on any of the pictures, so if you can't locate the battery still, please post that information along with the make and model of the computer if it is a prebuilt computer from say HP, Dell, etc.

***Instructions for removing the CMOS battery after you have located it is below:\

• Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2012 - 08:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Guys...

On Asus motherboards the CMOS battery is almost always on the lower right corner of the board. In your case, look under the back end of the video card.

Is the 4 pin CPU power cable connected? I can't tell by the pictures. The connector would be at the top near the processor. 4 pins...yellow and black wires (usually).

Good to see you Fenor...been a while. :happy:

wannabe1

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My comp is a bit FUBAR at the moment but next to Asus there's a checkmark that says n13219

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
4 pin power cable? I assume it is, lol. Though I am not one for the tech. All I disconnected were the cables for mouse/ keyboard/speakers/ethernet and power in the back.

Everything is in its original state which was working perfectly yesterday. All of a sudden today I get this shite, pardon my French.

About looking under the video cars, would this require me to remove the card?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

About looking under the video cars, would this require me to remove the card?

Yes, it looks like it's probably right under the video card fan.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yup, you will have to look under the video card, and may need to take it out.

Where wannabe1 said it would be is right according to the screenshots I can see on the web for your motherboard.

Posted Image

And yes, it has been a long time indeed old man! :D

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oh boy... How do I take this beast out? It's like the size of a modem and I don't want to break it. Yank it? Is there come sort of clip I should be concerned about? This is a gtx 260 card. No good YouTube vids detailing a emergency takeout of this type of card lol

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Take another picture, but this one looking down at a 45 degree angle at the connection where the video card plugs into the motherboard.

That should give us a good enough view to be able to show you what clip you need to press in, which will then allow you to pull out the video card. (after you unscrew the screws holding it to the case of course! :P )

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Posted Image interior, where the case and card meet

Posted Image another angle

Posted Image the outside where these clip things extend out to

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hehe. Though they are nice pictures, not quite what I wanted. I want a picture of the mobo slot (the blue slot) where the card is plugged in on the mobo.

***And more of an angle too, because we need to see the connector itself and not the card.

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2012 - 08:56 PM.

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright, I figured out the flap mechanism

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
How's this?

Posted Image

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to see you got the card taken out. :thumbsup: Now from your picture there, I see you have a P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, and from what I can see from pictures for that mobo, the CMOS battery is located in the top right-most corner of the mobo, and it is rectangular in shape and not circular.

Posted Image

I've never see one like that, so I can't say how to remove them, and I can't get the manual for your mobo to download off the Asus Support Website for your Mobo so I can't say exactly how to remove it.

If you have the hard-copy manual of the mobo, I would recommend you try that, and if not, try downloading the manual off the Asus support site.

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2012 - 09:24 PM.

Thee Dude

Thee Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just popped out the battery. Apparently it IS still circular, quarter shaped. Odd. Only it's facing upright as opposed to lying down. Alright I'm gonna reassemble this and boot it up. I'll report back with an update soon