Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tor and CONHOST.EXE

• Please log in to reply

bludiamond

bludiamond

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all, in Windows7 I notice that when I start the Tor Browser Bundle, automatically starts also the process "conhost.exe" (I see it in the Task Manager).

Conhost.exe, as far as I know, is related to the Command Prompt and I don't understand what this process has to do with Tor.

If someone of you uses Tor Browser Bundle with Windows7 has noticed the same process in background?

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bludiamond! Welcome to G2G!

Through my search on the Internet, I noticed that you have opened up similar topics on other tech support websites, and the answers they gave you are the best you are going to get.

To sum up:
  • The Conhost process runs ais part of the TOR bundle
  • Conhost is a part of Windows 7, that was introduced in Windows 7 to fix some of the inherent bugs with console sessions that existed in Windows XP
  • Disabling Conhost could possibly hurt the console session that TOR is running, even though when you cancel it TOR seems to be unaffected.
Basically, just leave it alone. If you are experiencing no issues because of it, then it isn't something that you need to worry about, but as posted on other sites, if you really must know, then contact the make of the TOR Bundle for further assistance.

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2012 - 06:46 AM.