Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fading screen

• Please log in to reply

Gman2646

Gman2646

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Have a Dell Laptop 1545 with Win 7 OS laptop screen sometimes fades to vertical line sometimes color sometimes not, open and close lid fixes it usually and also tapping on the top of screen. Looking at it from an electrical stand point thought there is a switch of some kind in the lid that is malfunctioning, went and changed lid setting to do nothing when closing lid. Fading still persists, did a disassemble and reassemble making sure there was nothing lose. To no avail fading still an issue. I am more a hardware guy if it isn't already apparent. Have not done a total system restore using recovery partition yet, was kinda putting off have to update software after restore. Should I give that a shot and see what happens or do your instincts tell you it is something else. Gotta love that application layer always changing!! I am open to suggestions. Kinda at the end of the rope on my end.

Thanks

Gman

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Gman2646

What you describe may suggest that you have a bad LCD Video Ribbon http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B006Y4FENO this is based on the opening and closing the lid and tapping the top of the screen information you have described, the ribbon could be damaged or have a bad connection/socket.
Disassembly guide http://support.dell....d.htm#wp1000473

Gman2646

Gman2646

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the reply, One thing I neglected to make clear when disassembling the 1545 the screen itself was only taken of the base. Will check the other end of the ribbon cable and hope it is just lose. If will most likely replace even if it was just lose.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional info :thumbsup:
Hopefully it will just be a case of making sure that the connections are firmly in place as the ribbons are costly.
Good luck and let us know how you are getting on with it.

Gman2646

Gman2646

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Once I got in there it turned out to be a lose hinge, tighten it all up and a little shot of electrical contact cleaner and lube and good to go. Problem solved!!

Thanks

Stephen D. Scott
(Rage) :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted Stephen and thank you for posting how the issue was resolved as it may help others with the same or a similar problem :thumbsup: