Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing to HP 1215 on LAN

• Please log in to reply

jchernic

jchernic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two printers on my LAN, a LaserJet 5M and a HP Photosmart 1215. Both are cabled directly to a computer using NT4.

The server computer in this instance is my XP (Home Edition). The router for my LAN, which is also connected to a W98 system (wireless connection).

I am able to print through the LAN using the LaserJet 5M; however, when an attempt is made to print to the HP-1215, a brief line or object is printed, and the paper is then ejected.

Printing on the 1215 is OK when I use the NT4 to transfer files from the XP (NT4 uploads the files to the printer).

The XP is relatively new in a Dell Dimension 8400. After a problem connecting to the Internet with the 8400 developed a couple of days ago, I bridged the modem, eliminating that specific problem, but apparently bridging did not help with the printing problem, although it corrected the inability for the XP to upload directly to my web sites without having to use NT4 as an interface.

If anyone has specific knowledge re: this query, I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks.

JC

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
little lost here, not sure if you forgot something (the second sentence is incomplete), or if I am just dense...probably that one.

So you have a lan with PCs loaded with

windows xp
windows 98

You have a Winnt server, and it has two printers connected to it, and both are shared.

You have a router (I assume you mean switch, or a router/switch, since the router is not relevent since routers are for communicating OFF the local network and switch is for communicating in network).

Do both Windows 98 and XP machines display same issue?