Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tweaks after adding RAM?

• Please log in to reply

kykitty24

kykitty24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Dell Dimension 4600 had gotten extremely slow and since it only had the original 256mb of RAM, I added an additional 2 GB. While it's now operating much faster, I see that my CPU usage often runs at 100%. Are there any settings I need to adjust due to the memory upgrade?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• sysprop.JPG
  • taskmanager.JPG

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi kykitty24! Welcome to G2G!

Can you go to the processes tab in the Task Manager, and then click on the heading 'CPU', and then list all the items that show up using a lot of CPU usage.

***You can leave out 'system idle process' as that isn't CPU being used, but rather CPU that is available to the system that isn't being used.

kykitty24

kykitty24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There are 2 iexplore.exe that fluctuate with high numbers. I tried capturing a screen shot, but I'm not sure that what I am attaching will be of much help.

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.JPG

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Definitely sounds malware-related, and so you should head on over to that forum.

Go to the following link, and go through the steps listed there to post a topic in that forum, so that one of the malware experts can help figure out what is going on and get you all cleaned up!

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

kykitty24

kykitty24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you!