Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 2 laptops on a plane

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hello,

I am about to fly to vegas in 4 weeks time and am trying to think of things to do on a 12 hour flight other than reading or playing handheld games.

Me and my friend are both taking our laptops and thought it would be a very good idea if we could create an offline LAN between the two so we can play things like Diablo 3 (it will be out by then), football manager and other network-able games.

I realise this isnt as simple as connecting the two with an ethernet crossover cable, what other things would I need to setup in advance so that on the day we can just connect them?

thanks,

Advertisements

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
There are probably multiple ways to achieve what you are trying to do. Personally, I think I'd just make an Ad-hoc network - probably keep it wireless - and away you go:

http://www.cs.washin.../doc/adhoc.html

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Well considering its on a plane, I cant use wireless.

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
I know you cannot use the laptop during takeoff, landing, or while the plane is below 10,000 ft. I was not aware there is any problem using a wireless ad-hoc network during the times that laptop use is permitted. Both the FCC and the FAA allow it. Such use is left up to the discretion of the air carrier. I've done it with no problems. In fact, many airlines now offer inflight Wi-Fi for internet access for a fee. For example, American Airlines specifically state that you are allowed to use wi-fi (but not cellular - which is against FCC rules) on their planes: https://www.aa.com/i...=false&from=Nav However, if the airline you will be traveling on doesn't allow it... then you'll probably have to use the crossover cable.

Perhaps one of the tech guys that know more about this will stop by and offer their advice.

Good luck with your trip.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks for your advice, I will check with the airline.

That guide is very helpful, but do i need to do it on both laptops, or just one and then have the other laptop connect to it?

Tomk

Tomk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 211 posts
You just connect to it with the second computer.