Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble creating a website that is cross-browser compatible

• Please log in to reply

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all. I am currently in the process of doing a revamp to my Web site, and coded the site by hand, with help from Google for the parts I couldn't do. I originally developed the site for Google Chrome, and got it looking how I wanted, but had a bug I couldn't decipher. I pulled it up on IE and it looked how I wanted, so I finished coding based off the IE browser.

Now that I am done with my browser, I pulled it back up on Google Chrome and Safari, and it's way out of whack on both. I plugged my URL into the W3C Validations tools, and holy crap I have a lot of errors!

Problem is, I am having trouble deciphering my errors, and also need help fixing them. I am hoping that validating my coding will help with my issues. The site is developed with CSS encoding, and then a mixture of html/javascript for the remainder that I couldn't figure out in CSS.

The Web site URL is http://www.pushmodpe...wdesign/index(2).php

Like said, if you pull it up with IE 8, it looks exactly how I want it.

When you pull it up with GC or Safari, the top section is much longer than the rest, and the nav bar along the top (orange) is double the size of my rollover images.

Validation:

http://validator.w3....C_Validator/1.3

CSS Validation:
http://jigsaw.w3.org...arning=&lang=en

The first problem is it coming up with is my DOCTYPE not being declared. What does this mean? How do I know which one I have?

I noticed a lot of the errors are repeats dealing with my META tags and such. Can anyone offer suggestions to solve this?

I am working to clear up my CSS on my own, but need help with the html validation. Any suggestions for correction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DLSpeed_Admin, 25 April 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I went through the entire CSS Validation and made all the changes. I am now CSS 3 Validated, but it didn't change the way my site looked at all... :(

Edited by DLSpeed_Admin, 25 April 2012 - 01:33 PM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Most of the errors are syntax errors. You are using a XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype. Errors like "onMouseover" are because it must be "onmouseover"...all lowercase. Other "errors" are like not closing tags which normally do not have closing tags with a space and a " / ". Adding a breal after the <ul> tag is not allowed. Some problems with missing closing tags. More are about the ampersand ( & ). It must be coded using its character entity in all html documents.

Here's a list that HTML Tidy found:

Result: 137 errors / 6 warnings

line 81 column 31 - Error: there is no attribute "onLoad"
line 85 column 76 - Error: there is no attribute "height"
line 87 column 145 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 87 column 14 - Info: start tag was here
line 88 column 98 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 88 column 94 - Info: start tag was here
line 92 column 16 - Error: character data is not allowed here
line 92 column 101 - Error: there is no attribute "alt"
line 95 column 54 - Error: required attribute "type" not specified
line 140 column 24 - Error: end tag for element "align" which is not open
line 140 column 29 - Error: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 95 column 10 - Info: start tag was here
line 143 column 30 - Error: document type does not allow element "div" here; missing one of "th", "td" start-tag
line 143 column 70 - Error: there is no attribute "background"
line 143 column 125 - Error: document type does not allow element "td" here
line 144 column 94 - Error: there is no attribute "onClick"
line 144 column 148 - Error: there is no attribute "onMouseOver"
line 144 column 245 - Error: there is no attribute "onMouseOut"
line 144 column 383 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 144 column 265 - Info: start tag was here
line 145 column 417 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 145 column 291 - Info: start tag was here
line 146 column 417 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 146 column 291 - Info: start tag was here
line 147 column 417 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 147 column 291 - Info: start tag was here
line 148 column 417 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 148 column 291 - Info: start tag was here
line 149 column 418 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 149 column 290 - Info: start tag was here
line 150 column 408 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 150 column 282 - Info: start tag was here
line 151 column 406 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 151 column 281 - Info: start tag was here
line 152 column 400 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 152 column 278 - Info: start tag was here
line 153 column 22 - Error: end tag for "table" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 143 column 126 - Info: start tag was here
line 153 column 22 - Error: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 143 column 31 - Info: start tag was here
line 155 column 17 - Error: "tr" not finished but containing element ended
line 155 column 17 - Error: end tag for "tr" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 142 column 8 - Info: start tag was here
line 156 column 14 - Error: end tag for element "td" which is not open
line 157 column 12 - Error: end tag for element "tr" which is not open
line 158 column 17 - Error: end tag for element "table" which is not open
line 163 column 10 - Error: document type does not allow element "br" here; assuming missing "li" start-tag
line 163 column 11 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 163 column 7 - Info: start tag was here
line 164 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 165 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 166 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 167 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 168 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 169 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 170 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 171 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 172 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 173 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 174 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 175 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 176 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 177 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 178 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 178 column 92 - Error: end tag for "li" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 163 column 7 - Info: start tag was here
line 182 column 14 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 182 column 10 - Info: start tag was here
line 182 column 34 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 182 column 30 - Info: start tag was here
line 183 column 45 - Error: there is no attribute "onChange"
line 185 column 25 - Error: "SELECTED" is not a member of a group specified for any attribute
line 208 column 74 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "B"
line 208 column 74 - Error: general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
line 208 column 75 - Error: reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 208 column 73 - Info: entity was defined here
line 209 column 73 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "M"
line 209 column 73 - Error: general entity "M" not defined and no default entity
line 209 column 74 - Error: reference to entity "M" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 209 column 72 - Info: entity was defined here
line 228 column 74 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "L"
line 228 column 74 - Error: general entity "L" not defined and no default entity
line 228 column 75 - Error: reference to entity "L" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 228 column 73 - Info: entity was defined here
line 251 - Error: character data is not allowed here
line 251 column 86 - Error: end tag for element "option" which is not open
line 268 column 73 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "R"
line 268 column 73 - Error: general entity "R" not defined and no default entity
line 268 column 74 - Error: reference to entity "R" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 268 column 72 - Info: entity was defined here
line 281 column 75 - Error: reference to entity "M" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 286 column 73 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "N"
line 286 column 73 - Error: general entity "N" not defined and no default entity
line 286 column 74 - Error: reference to entity "N" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 286 column 72 - Info: entity was defined here
line 295 column 75 - Error: reference to entity "M" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 297 column 74 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "H"
line 297 column 74 - Error: general entity "H" not defined and no default entity
line 297 column 75 - Error: reference to entity "H" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 297 column 73 - Info: entity was defined here
line 397 column 16 - Error: end tag for element "p" which is not open
line 398 column 10 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 398 column 6 - Info: start tag was here
line 399 column 21 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 399 column 17 - Info: start tag was here
line 401 column 114 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 401 column 110 - Info: start tag was here
line 403 column 15 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 403 column 11 - Info: start tag was here
line 405 column 11 - Error: ID "sectionLinks" already defined
line 162 column 11 - Info: ID "sectionLinks" first defined here
line 417 column 205 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 417 column 79 - Info: start tag was here
line 417 column 213 - Error: end tag for "center" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 417 - Info: start tag was here
line 422 column 2 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 422 column 43 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 422 column 39 - Info: start tag was here
line 422 column 681 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 422 column 688 - Error: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 422 column 679 - Info: start tag was here
line 424 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 424 column 48 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 424 column 44 - Info: start tag was here
line 424 column 701 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 424 column 708 - Error: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 424 column 699 - Info: start tag was here
line 426 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 426 column 51 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 426 column 47 - Info: start tag was here
line 426 column 357 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 426 column 360 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 428 column 21 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 429 column 2 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 430 column 2 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 431 column 105 - Error: required attribute "alt" not specified
line 431 column 109 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 431 - Info: start tag was here
line 431 column 114 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 431 column 110 - Info: start tag was here
line 432 column 21 - Error: end tag for "b" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 430 column 3 - Info: start tag was here
line 433 column 2 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 434 column 98 - Error: required attribute "alt" not specified
line 434 column 102 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 434 - Info: start tag was here
line 434 column 107 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 434 column 103 - Info: start tag was here
line 436 column 2 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 437 column 99 - Error: required attribute "alt" not specified
line 437 column 103 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 437 - Info: start tag was here
line 437 column 108 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 437 column 104 - Info: start tag was here
line 439 column 21 - Error: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
line 439 column 31 - Error: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 428 column 4 - Info: start tag was here
line 439 column 31 - Error: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 426 column 358 - Info: start tag was here
line 426 column 355 - Info: start tag was here
line 426 column 4 - Info: start tag was here
line 424 column 4 - Info: start tag was here
line 422 - Info: start tag was here
line 421 - Info: start tag was here
line 442 column 11 - Error: ID "sectionLinks" already defined
line 162 column 11 - Info: ID "sectionLinks" first defined here
line 443 column 11 - Error: document type does not allow element "br" here; assuming missing "li" start-tag
line 443 column 12 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 443 column 8 - Info: start tag was here
line 444 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 445 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 446 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 447 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 448 column 6 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 449 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 450 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 451 column 9 - Error: document type does not allow element "li" here; missing one of "ul", "ol", "menu", "dir" start-tag
line 452 column 8 - Error: end tag for "li" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 443 column 8 - Info: start tag was here
line 455 column 22 - Error: value of attribute "method" cannot be "POST"; must be one of "get", "post"
line 457 column 72 - Error: there is no attribute "bordercolor"
line 460 column 88 - Error: end tag for "center" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 460 column 12 - Info: start tag was here
line 464 column 82 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 464 column 78 - Info: start tag was here
line 465 column 83 - Error: end tag for "input" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 465 column 12 - Info: start tag was here
line 465 column 83 - Error: end tag for "center" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 464 column 12 - Info: start tag was here
line 470 column 76 - Error: end tag for "input" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 470 column 6 - Info: start tag was here
line 470 column 76 - Error: end tag for "center" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 469 column 12 - Info: start tag was here
line 475 column 8 - Error: end tag for element "td" which is not open
line 475 column 13 - Error: end tag for element "tr" which is not open
line 476 column 3 - Error: document type does not allow element "tr" here; assuming missing "table" start-tag
line 477 column 151 - Error: end tag for "img" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 477 column 2 - Info: start tag was here
line 482 column 354 - Error: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
line 482 column 350 - Info: start tag was here

Line numbers refer to my editor, but might match yours. They match the validators for my pages. Just 2 CSS errors which should also be corrected.

Edited by AstraNut, 25 April 2012 - 06:33 PM.

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, thanks for your input. I will go through and start looking through it more.

I fixed the CSS errors that popped up, back to 100% on the CSS.

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I went through and changed all of my syntax errors and got rid of those. I removed the breaks after the list tags, and that cleared up a bunch.

I still have 102, and most of them relate to the <br> tag.

for this and the <center> tag, how do I close them? Fixing this issue will help out a lot. I am definitely getting closer, they are starting to look a lot better in GC and Safari.

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nevermind, figured out the <br> issues. I'm down to 42 errors now. :-D I'm getting there!

Is there a new way to make tables with XHTML Transitional? I feel this has a lot to do with things. I have a lot of CSS, but I don't know how to use it for individual tables.

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Down to 17 errors, and just about everything left has to do with the table set-up. What is the new technology for deal with XHTML? I am figuring that these last errors are what is causing my shape-shift between browsers. So close!!!

DLSpeed_Admin

DLSpeed_Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok guys, took some grunt work, but I am now 100% on both CSS and XHTML. Thanks for the tips!

Now, I just need to figure out why my navbar looks different between Google Chrome and IE, then I can launch.

Can anyone look at my code and tell me what would cause it to be different? IE is how I want it, but on Google Chrome/Safari the orange navbar is double the height it should be. i only want it the height of the buttons so it will flow.

Side by side comparison.
Posted Image

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Lot of tags have been deprecated. Tables used properly with CSS will validate OK using XHTML. You just have to be aware that table attributes are not to be used in many cases where you can use CSS. Might take a read of these:

Tables in xhtml

HTML XHTML Table Code Tutorial

HTML XHTML Tutorial How To Create a Table(Video)

XHTML Tables Module