Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case Fan Connections

• Please log in to reply

Day_late

Day_late

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Probably a classic dumb question, but I'm putting an Asus P8H61-M motherboard in an Antec Three Hundred case. The case has two fans (top and rear), both with three-pin connectors. The mobo has only one case fan connector. How do I hook up the extra case fan?

Thanks,
Warren

Edited by Day_late, 25 April 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Day_late...

Use an adapter like This One to connect the second fan directly to the power supply.

wannabe1

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Looks like a good solution, wannabe1. Thanks.

Balicasiopia

Balicasiopia

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You can also use an adaptor like this to connect both fans together

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
So how many fans can be run from the motherboard bus before it's overloaded?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would depend on the motherboard. While it may be perfectly safe to run multiple fans through a single mainboard fan connector, just the fact that your board has only one chassis fan connector would indicate that it is probably not a real robust mainboard. Running the fans from the power supply puts no unnecessary stress on the platform.

As a side note, the fans in your Antec 300 should be 3 speed fans...switchable using the small switches on the fan wiring harness.

Day_late

Day_late

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Okay, I got a three-pin Y-connector to power the two fans in my Antec Three Hundred enclosure from the moboard power source. The 120mm rear fan works fine, the 140mm top fan does not work. When I try to spin the 140mm fan, it seems to resist - doesn't make any noise but does not spin freely. I've submitted a warranty request to Antec for a new fan, but I don't know for sure my fan is really bad. How do I tell?