Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated blue screen crashes [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It is because you are in safe mode.. The windows installer is not available there

What we will do now is run a clean boot and see if normal mode windows works properly then

Step 1:

Start the System Configuration Utility
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2:

Configure selective startup options
In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Now we get to the tedious part,:

If windows behaves itself then do the following

Restart MSConfig and select half of the disabled services and reboot

Is the problem still present ?

If Yes then deselect half of the services that you resumed and reboot

If no then select half of the remaining services and reboot

The intention here is to isolate the one service/driver that is causing the problem

Advertisements

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well I have backed up my important files to the best of my knowledge on an external hard drive. I tried to open the back up and restore centre to make sure I did the same on my computer, but in safe mode, it is not working.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do next? Should I do that complete reboot thing I did last time?

I don't know what it is that is taking up all that space, or what to delete. The defragging took all day and I'm not even sure if it completed that task...

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
right, after following step 2, normal mode function is really good. There was no message about the mscofig changing though.

I've now deselected the 1st half of the services and will see what happens.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok, after deselecting the 1st half of the services and restarting, then reselecting the 1st half and disabling the bottom half and restarting, I found that both times my internet wasn't connected and without the 1st half, a bubble appeared saying my windows firewall was off.

I couldn't really test anything as to open any of my files, I would 1st need to install the programs they come from. I also haven't installed my anti-virus yet because of the slowness of before. Also I have little free space available at the moment.

I've selected all the services in the msconfig utility and restarted the computer and I'm using this state to message you now.

As the really slow functioning has been rectified (for now), I should be able to run other diagnostic tools and follow your previous instructions about roguekiller/SDK etc in normal mode, but I don't want to complicate things more by running ahead of myself.

Please tell me what to do next.

You've been very patient and helpful, thank you for your time and knowledge.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
So how is the computer behaving in normal mode now ?

I would recommend that you download and install the antivirus now

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I've installed my anti virus and things still seem to be running smoothly- what next? Should I run a virus check with avast? If viruses are found what should I choose (move to chest/delete)?

How do I go about freeing up the space that has mysteriously been filled up? My msconfig is still set using that you told me to do before. I don't think we have located whatever driver/service that was causing major delay.

I would like a thoroughly clean system with all the glitches tweaked (wouldn't we all :D ). I'm sure there must still be some conflict somewhere since all of the reboots, virus deletions, restore points and backups. I'm gonna run a defrag in normal mode as a starter while I await your instructions.

What is the next step maestro? :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As you have Avast then we will run aswMBR as that does a critical area scan plus the MBR areas

So you are currently running in the clean boot mode ?

If you could take a screenshot of the services that are disabled then I may be able to suggest a way forward to test them

Download aswMBR.exe ( 4.8mb ) to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Posted Image

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Upon turning on my computer this morning and clicking on Internet explore a box appears with the letters WRC in the corner and the message says "cannot save search rules" and google won't start (or it leaves me waiting with the circle timer thing going round).

I noticed that although the Internet connection symbol with the globe is showing as connected to local and Internet, when I double click on it, it is not showing a list of networks including my own.
I tried repeating the steps from earlier about the msconfig and selecting selective startup, but to no avail. I will try and continue with your latest instruction in safe mode if I can.

This message is being sent from my iPad

Edited by missytrix24, 04 May 2012 - 01:21 AM.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Following your latest step, this is the log that was produced from aswMBR when run in safe mode:

aswMBR version 0.9.9.1665 Copyright© 2011 AVAST Software
Run date: 2012-05-04 08:29:06
-----------------------------
08:29:06.313 OS Version: Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1
08:29:06.313 Number of processors: 4 586 0xF0B
08:29:06.313 ComputerName: RANGIKUDOUG-PC UserName: rangikudoug
08:29:30.743 Initialize success
08:29:32.225 AVAST engine defs: 12050301
08:29:51.631 Disk 0 (boot) \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\0000004d
08:29:51.631 Disk 0 Vendor: ST332081 SD23 Size: 305245MB BusType: 6
08:29:51.647 Disk 0 MBR read successfully
08:29:51.647 Disk 0 MBR scan
08:29:52.162 Disk 0 Windows VISTA default MBR code
08:29:52.193 Disk 0 Partition 1 00 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE NTFS 12291 MB offset 63
08:29:52.832 Disk 0 Partition 2 80 (A) 07 HPFS/NTFS NTFS 292952 MB offset 25174016
08:29:52.910 Disk 0 scanning sectors +625139712
08:29:53.456 Disk 0 scanning C:\Windows\system32\drivers
08:30:12.910 Service scanning
08:30:32.456 Modules scanning
08:30:35.514 Disk 0 trace - called modules:
08:30:35.545 ntkrnlpa.exe CLASSPNP.SYS disk.sys acpi.sys hal.dll storport.sys nvstor32.sys
08:30:35.545 1 nt!IofCallDriver -> \Device\Harddisk0\DR0[0x85080408]
08:30:35.545 3 CLASSPNP.SYS[807b7745] -> nt!IofCallDriver -> [0x84aa9df0]
08:30:35.561 5 acpi.sys[806946a0] -> nt!IofCallDriver -> \Device\0000004d[0x84ae8450]
08:30:36.278 AVAST engine scan C:\Windows
08:30:39.211 AVAST engine scan C:\Windows\system32
08:32:50.126 AVAST engine scan C:\Windows\system32\drivers
08:32:59.018 AVAST engine scan C:\Users\rangikudoug
08:35:45.174 AVAST engine scan C:\ProgramData
08:38:54.012 Scan finished successfully
08:48:45.299 Disk 0 MBR has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\rangikudoug\Desktop\MBR.dat"
08:48:45.330 The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\rangikudoug\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is Avast webrep it has lost its way, so the easy solution to that at the moment is disable webrep within IE

When you are in normal mode right click the internet connection icon and select troubleshoot problems

Let me know what errors it comes up with.

Lets recap now on the current situation...

Your photos and documents are now safely backed up

The system speed is normal in safe mode

But there is a connectivity problem

Advertisements

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I tried troubleshooting problems by clicking on the icon like you said, but that option doesn't appear; the closet match is 'diagnose and repair' and when I run that, the box that appears says there are no problems. Right now I am able to use the internet in normal mode fine, but it seems touch and go with each restart. The time before restarting this session I was unable to load IE because of the WRC message, but after restarting again, the WRC problem box came up again, but IE worked.

To recap my current problems:
  • intermittant internet problems
  • low c drive space (that wasn't so low before)
  • files are safely backed up

I would like to delete my junk files and programs I don't use anymore, make sure all the drivers are installed properly and up to date and to clean any viruses that I'm sure are lurking around spoiling normal functioning.

This session, I am using my computer in normal mode, though the next time I turn my computer on again, I may have a problem and have to restart in safe mode.

Awaiting your instructions.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
It may be something wrong with some video drivers, cos I seem to notice that sometimes, when I got the blue screen, it would occur while I was watching something online or on dvd.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets get at it :

Video driver

First go to control panel > Device manager
Click Display adapters
Right click the Details that open and select properties
Select the driver Tab
Select Update driver
Select search automatically
Windows will then update the driver to the latest stable version

Reclaim space

Delete the backup folder from the reinstall off of your hard drive

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Sort out webrep

Open the Avast GUI
Select additional protection > browser protection > expert settings
Remove the tick from Enable Web Rep
OK out

Now for the drivers

Download Drivermax from here
Install it but ensure that the AVG toolbar is deselected
Run the programme and then take a screenshot of the results window and post that

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok, I followed your steps but there were a few hiccups;

Your 1st instruction about the video driver worked as you described.

When I went to delete my backup folder, a message came up stating that one of the files was a system file and deleting it could cause problems, so I opted to let it remain and continued with the deletion. I have attached a screenshot of the message.

Then when installing driver max, I didn't see the option to deselect adding it's toolbar, so that was installed and it also forced me to have a different home page (which I've corrected now). I ran the program and took several screen shots so you can see the report on all the things it read.

The only way I know how to take a screenshot is to press print screen and paste it in paint, so those are also attached.

If there is another way you want me to do it let me know, as I wouldnt like you to inadvertantly get any virus by looking at my attachehments.

missytrix24

missytrix24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I can't see where I can attach files here. How do I send you screenshots? :help: