Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

wireless card isn't recognized after installing drivers

• Please log in to reply

muddymudkipper

muddymudkipper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I just got a computer from my friend, it was his uncles. I tried putting in my linksys wireless 54g pci adapter from my old computer. I installed the drivers on it and put it in and it shows a yellow ! mark next to network controller in device manager. I pulled it out and retried installing the drivers then put it in and still get yellow !. I retried this like 5 times. When I go to programs and featuresit shows linksys wireless g pci adapter. So I have no idea what could be wrong. The adapter worked in my old machine with no problem. My dads laptop got the same problem with his internal wireless card around a month or two before. I had stored some files off his flash drive onto my computer before I tried to install the card but I took them off and I dont know what was all there. My computer is running windows 7 professional service pack 1 64 bit. Please help I've been working on this and my dads laptop for months and have gotten nowhere,

Thanks
Tyler

Advertisement

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,364 posts
Did you install the Windows 7 driver, not the XP driver?

The latest I could find is here but it doesn't specifically mention Windows 7: Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G)

If no help, read here: How to install WMP54G Drivers on Windows 7 Beta 64 bit (or Vista 64 bit)

It points to here: Ralink RT2500 Driver which they say works with Win 7 X64. Give it a try.

muddymudkipper

muddymudkipper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
THANK YOU!!! I got it working :thumbsup: . I've posted on 3 other sites and got nowhere. I was trying to instal directly from linksys website and it never showed up after so it must not work on anything past xp. Now I need to fix my dads laptop which is totaly different. :whistling: Anyway sorry for taking a long time to reply, I gave up for awhile :lol: if I need help I'll post a new topic.
Thanks, you saved me from many hours of frustration,
Tyler :cool:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,364 posts
Great that you have it working. Thanks for letting me know.

Advertisement