Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - Can't specify audio channels

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Backstory: I often play games online with my friends. We use things like Skype or Ventrilo to talk while playing the game, so I have my speakers plugged into the back of my computer, and my headphones plugged into the front.

My computer: http://www.microcent...duct_id=0354506

Problem: I can't seem to assign what sounds go where. Most of the time, the sounds from Skype/Ventrilo chat are sent to the headphones, but it seems to be random whether the sound from the games are sent to the speakers or the headphones. If I'm using the headphones for chatting, it almost never will route game-sounds to them. If I'm not (and just want to use headphones to not annoy my roommate), even then it usually won't switch channels if I plug the headphones in - I have to restart the computer with the headphones plugged in before it will start switching the in-game audio from the speakers to the headphones.

Does anyone know of a way to tell Windows where I want each program's sound going? I know that in the Volume Mixer, it shows what's playing where, but it won't give me any option to move applications from one output to another.

Advertisements

Chippychap

Chippychap

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What about temporarily disabling the ones you don't want.
Or "Setting as default" to suit a particular task.
Best of luck with it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you plug the headset into the back ports instead of the front windows should direct the sound to the headset instead of the speakers...if you are only going to use the front ports you will have to go into the control panel/sound...then select the device you want to use

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My tower is set up such that getting to the back ports is more trouble than it's worth, especially when I'd want to be switching back and forth depending what I'm doing. And setting the headphones as the default doesn't do anything - Windows refuses to play everything through them, even if they are the default, and I don't know why. :\