Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Non operational optical drives

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I'm attempting to get an old (2002) Gateway pc up to usable status, running XP. I have run into a problem with the optical drives. The pc sees them (listed in My Computer) They just don't work. If I right click and choose eject, I hear quick clicking sounds but no response. If I manually open a drive, insert a cd, and then attempt to click on that drive, I get a message to insert media. I replaced one of the drives with a known good cd rom but I get the same results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

NB: Janis
I previously offered you assistance with an audio issue but unfortunately you never concluded the thread and left it hanging, please do not do this as posting any outcome good or bad may help others with the same or a similar issue, thank you for understanding http://www.geekstogo...27#entry2125527

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks for the help and the reminder. I thought I had gone back in to say I had fixed the audio problem by adding an audio card. Will try out the suggestions on the cd rom and let you know if I make progress.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok - good luck with it.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I uninstalled both optical drives. It took two reboots for the system to find both drives. The DVD writer works but still the dvd rom will not respond correctly to commands. Just clicks but never opens. Again if a drive is opened manually and a disk is inserted the dvd rom does see it. I tried with a cdrom replacement. Same reaction. Next I went into BIOS to see if both drives are registered there. They were. I took out a new cable and replaced the cable that was in the pc. No change. It is almost as if the drive connected as a slave is unable to get the power needed. Does this give anyone a clue as to what is happening?

Edited by Janis, 29 April 2012 - 03:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Are you saying that the replacement CD Rom drive also clicks the same as the old one?
If you suspect a lack of power swap the power supplies around on the two optical drives and see if the symptoms are reversed between the two drives.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Any replacement drive on the pc (slave or CS) will not function. I did try switching power connectors but no help there either. If I choose eject as a test, or if I open the drive manually, it just doesn't work. I'm getting ready to call it quits and designate this as a one drive unit. I would like to find an answer though just in case I come across this problem again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
This may be the socket on the MB, please run Speccy and post the results so we can look at your MB specs http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I'll run the software on Thursday, my next stint at the center. The software forum looks interesting, thanks for the link.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
When you are ready and you are welcome :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I keep trying to copy and then paste to a reply but am not successful It sees copy okay but not paste. Any idea of what I am doing wrong? In trying to add an attachment, the error message says I am not allowed to upload this kind of file

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Trying again, this time I chose snapshot. Sorry same error message not permitted to upload tihs kind of file.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
No paint program but I do have a pdf printer.Attached File  Speccy report - C__Documents and Settings_USER 1_Desktop_analysis_USER1-2BD4B9DD2.pdf   124.92KB   717 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok got the MB specs thanks :thumbsup:
Try connecting the end connection of the data ribbon to the drive that is having issues and the middle connection of the data ribbon to the drive that normally functions correctly (you may need to swap the actual drives around) let us know what happens.

The MB has two IDE slots so depending on the outcome of the above I will await your reply before going further.