Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ! My monitor shows power saving mode

• Please log in to reply

JINBO

JINBO

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please help me...

I unplug my vga cable (the one with 15 dots) while my computer is running in my attempt to connect it to my tv, after that my tv shows no signal and then i try to connect it back to my monitor and it shows power saving mode, i try everything that i found in the web such as clean the PC, unplug the power cord and plug it again (both the PC and monitor) but still power saving mode, then i realize there is another vga input lower then the usual plug in and when i try it it goes to windows and then suddenly power saving mode again, i think my video card is damaged but how to confirm this??

i dont dare to unplug anything inside the CPU in case i damage it further, can anyone help?? thx beforehand.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: JINBO

Unfortunately you have found out the hard way that you should never connect or disconnect hardware from a computer while it is powered up.

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

The issue may be caused by the video card, the power supply or the PC to display cable, check the cable for damage which includes bent pins in the end connections and when you reconnect the cable make sure it is secure but finger tighten only.

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, thx for the fast reply, talking about learning the hard way....

im sorry but i dont know the detail of the spec of my video card i just know that my monitor is LG L1753S and my PC is custom build but i dont know the code for the video card or motherboard, i try some things with my computer just now, i told you about the 2 vga cord input, the first being the original position and the second being the one located lower and usually not used.

The first input : nothing, nada, straight to power saving mode, but the thing is if i left it for a while i can hear window starting up, and the crazy thing is my friend can call me through skype and i can (when i randomly click the mouse) accept his call.....

Then i try the second input (the one located lower) and it can go up to windows and then suddenly power saving mode again so i think the original is the plug in provided by the video card (not expert so sorry if im incorrect) and the second is the mother board provided plug in.... continuing i try to go to save mode, i did it, and try to restart it, back to power saving mode. I go to BIOS but cannot find any power saving item so i decided not to change anything (not planning on another learning the hard way event), and back to this forum hoping someone could shed some light on the matter. thx again.

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Oh and i already check the cable and it looks fine and the input is being tighten very well, i dont know about the power cable but before my action of pulling the monitor cord it works fine and suddenly this problem happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
At this point I would suggest that you try connecting the PC to another screen, does the power lead to the monitor unplug and if so have you checked that this is securely in place.
Im off to check google for a user manual for your LG display.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check for a bent pin also on the monitor connector.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As you can get into the BIOS please do the following, while the PC is turned off and disconnected from the wall socket connect the display cable to the VGA port, check the screen power supply cord is ok then restart the system, press F8 and chose boot with VGA MODE, let us know how it goes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

As you can get into the BIOS please do the following, while the PC is turned off and disconnected from the wall socket connect the display cable to the VGA port, check the screen power supply cord is ok then restart the system, press F8 and chose boot with VGA MODE, let us know how it goes.

Also might try Last Know Good Configuration

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
okay i didnt really get the disconnect from the wall socket but since you want me to boot using VGA MODE i use the other plug in (the one not original) and go press F12 for choose boot and the option shows

Select a Boot First Device:
LS120
Hard Disk (with a + sign in front of it i guess showing this is my current setup)
CDROM
ZIP
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD
Legacy Lan

if i use the original input plugin for the VGA cord i cannot go anywhere, first thing that shows is that power saving mode and my screen light flicker from normal blue to ugly yellow..... no Save mode no BIOS

PS: the power connecting the monitor and the power supply is ok (my monitor has its own power cord to the electric plug in if that is relevant)

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
in my curiosity i try the default setting option in the BIOS.... nothing, still the same condition, i end up hearing my windows start (followed by starting to annoying skype) and i turn it of by using 4 second pushing the power button (and hearing my windows shutdown which is supposedly safe for my windows program).....

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What happens if you tap the F8 key as I previously suggested?
The problem with having an add on video card fitted is that it automatically disables the MBs integrated video chip unless the feature is disabled in the BIOS, if the add on video card is bad it needs to be removed, here is a tutorial for you http://www.videocard...ideo_card.shtml please disregard anything else at the link.

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thank you for the suggestion, when i press F8 nothing happens, just normal going into window, power safe mode, and a lot of windows noises, for the Video card i didnt dare to remove it in fear of more damage, i will contact my company's IT personal and ask them to fix this. its 3 AM in my country so sorry but i will update the progress tomorrow, thank you for all the support, i give up playing league tonight and will wait for better tomorrow...... thx anyway

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
guys guys, im back, i try the F8 thing again and it works, i choose VGA mode now im in windows normally, ok whats next?? whats next??

JINBO

JINBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok now im in windows normally but my resolution is big and in my display properties, im 4 bit only, and my resolution is 600 something, whats next??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you first turn the system on look at the bottom left and it should tell you how to enter the bios, cmos or setup area Phill is asking you to go into. From there then do the following.

OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Video entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.