Infected flash drives - Should I throw them out? [Solved]
Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:22 PM
Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:10 AM
I have taken the liberty to message SweetTech myself and ask him to look at this topic and assist you after moving this topic to the malware forum.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:23 AM
Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:44 AM
Not to worry you just have to wait for him to reply to you.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:10 PM
Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:46 AM
Special thanks for rshaffer61 for giving me the heads up to this thread.
Can you please remind me again of what Operating System you're running? Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7?
I've moved this thread over to the Malware forum.
Mod Edit: Thread moved to Malware forum.-ST.
Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:37 PM
We are going to download a Microsoft FixIt that will disable the AutoPlay feature from being enabled.
You'll want to download this Microsoft FixIt to your computer.
Please save it to your Desktop.
Double click on the MicrosoftFixit50471.msi file that should be on your Desktop.
Note: You may receive a warning from a Window titled: Open File - Security Warning
You'll see it say: Do you want to run this file?
Followed by some other details.
If you see this window, please click on the Run button.
Read through the Microsoft Software License Terms and then click on the I Agree button.
Click on Next.
The fix will now start and will first attempt to create a new restore point before it does anything else.
If the Microsoft Fix It is successfully it should say: This Microsoft Fix it has been processed.
Please click on the Close button.
Now that we've disabled the Auto Run feature for Windows, will proceed with running a virus scan on your Flash drives.
Please go ahead and plug your Flash drives into your computer for this scan.
ESET Online Scanner
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET Online Scan
Note: It is recommended to disable on-board anti-virus program and anti-spyware programs while performing scans so there are no conflicts and it will speed up scan time.
Please don't go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable your anti-virus along with your anti-spyware programs.
- Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
- Click the button.
- For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
- Click on to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
- Double click on the icon on your desktop.
- Click the button.
- Accept any security warnings from your browser.
- Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked
- When the Computer scan settings display shows, click the Advanced option, the place a check next to the following (if it is not already checked):
- Enable Anti-Stealth technology
Where it says; Current scan targets: click on Change...
Another window will pop-up and allow you to select which drives you want the online scanner to scan. You'll want to ensure that you place a checkmark underneath your flash drives. Then click on OK after you ensure you've selected your flash drives.
- Push the Start button.
- ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin
scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
- When the scan completes, push
- Push , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as
ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
- Push the button.
Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:41 AM
Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:04 AM
Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:53 AM
Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 AM
This all started after loading Fix it.
Now Firefox is working.
Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:30 PM
Are you still experiencing this message upon reboot?
"Cannot create shell notification icon."
Were you able to proceed with the ESET Instructions yet?
Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:42 PM
2. I scanned all my flash drives and I was surprised to find that ESET did not find any problems. I guess I was mistaken about them being infected. Also, I Panda vaccinated a couple flash drives which didn't have it.
3. What's next? I guess I turn Auto Play back on?
Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:49 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users