Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case Fans

• Please log in to reply

SoccerStud

SoccerStud

• Pip
  • 2 posts
1) My power supply fan is 4 pin but my motherboard only has a 3 pin for the power supply fan. I looked around and people said that it was okay to hang off the yellow wire because it just controls fan speed but the fan will run at full speed all the time. Is this correct? And if so is it bad for the power supply to do this?

2) Also my case fans plug directly into my power supply through 4 pin molex,ive read they too will be running full speed all the time. Is this true? Is this dangerous to do?

Sorry, I dont know all that much about computers. Im still learning :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: SoccerStud

Please provide us with the Case, MB, PSU and video card (if fitted) details - brand and model name or numbers will help.

SoccerStud

SoccerStud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

MB: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

1) My power supply fan is 4 pin but my motherboard only has a 3 pin for the power supply fan. I looked around and people said that it was okay to hang off the yellow wire because it just controls fan speed but the fan will run at full speed all the time. Is this correct? And if so is it bad for the power supply to do this?
This is partially correct and I would say that it wouldn`t be such an issue with a better brand of PSU.

2) Also my case fans plug directly into my power supply through 4 pin molex,ive read they too will be running full speed all the time. Is this true? Is this dangerous to do?
Your MBs software is supposed to control your fans so this will be an issue as 1: you will have no control over the fans and 2: there is going to be a lot of demand placed on your PSU which may stress it and cause it to fail.

There are cable adapters available to get around this so I will see what I can find and post back.

Sorry, I dont know all that much about computers. Im still learning :)

Not sure where in the world you are but below are the two types of adapter you can use so as you can use the ASUS software to control two of your 4 pin fans;

4 pin power to 3 pin MB fan header http://www.mercateo....m_campaign=L(fc)
4 pin molex to 4 pin MB fan header http://www.yoyotech....ucts_id=4372986 you will need a couple of these obviously.