Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Still" acquiring network address XP

• Please log in to reply

Dillard Jackson

Dillard Jackson

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello to all,

this site rocks. I have an XP system and like most I am still acquiring the network address.
My system is an XP and it appears the network WIFI driver is been infected in some way.

Please advise.

XP
Netgear wireless router

my other 2 laptops work fine both wirelessly and hardwired

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
http://download.blee.../farbar/FSS.exe

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.blee...MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Edited by rockmilk, 29 April 2012 - 01:36 AM.

Dillard Jackson

Dillard Jackson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply. But I cant access the internet with that laptop so how do I down load the fss and get it to run? Hopefully, if you have a solution for that I can get right to it.
thanks again

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Um you will need to transfer via cd or thumb drive Meaning you download the file from a working computer and transfer to the sick pc.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I've had computers sit on acquiring the network address when the security key was put in wrong. Go into the settings for your wireless adapter and remove the saved information for the preferred network for the SSID that you are trying to connect to, and then try to connect to it again.

Dillard Jackson

Dillard Jackson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Great you are awesome. what is the process for this?

Thanks soo much. I have no idea how to access the network adaptor settings. Pls. explain

thanks again

Dillard Jackson

Dillard Jackson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry we actually did that with the rep. However, all of my other devices pc, ipad all work and login with no problem. we switched to a wep config and reset the values on all the systems and this remains as the only one with no access.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Great you are awesome. what is the process for this?

Thanks soo much. I have no idea how to access the network adaptor settings. Pls. explain

thanks again

If you have a USB stick, then download the programs rockmilk asked you to download on another computer with internet access, and then transfer the files you downloaded (using the USB stick) to the concerned computer.

Edited by Amlak, 29 April 2012 - 10:31 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Dillard Jackson any luck with the instructions do you still need help?

heyface

heyface

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to help out A co-worker with his laptop. I guess this acquiring network address problem hits lots of folks. After reading I downloaded and ran the programs and here are the results.Attached File  Result.txt   16KB   75 downloads

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Hey face you still having issues?

heyface

heyface

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Rockmilk, Yes, i did manage to get online finally via ethernet but am still having problems wireless. This is A friends pc and it was really messed up. Half of the problem is the thing is soooooo slow. I've cleaned it up as best I could........defrag, deleted lots of crap, and installed security essentials. Had to do that twice and took hrs. I think the machine is clean now but the RAM may be done.....lots of space left on hard drive. It's A compaq nc6000 and will fuss with it more today. any suggestions would be appreciated.

heyface

heyface

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Rockmilk, got it all straightened out.....dummy me...my buddy had somehow downloaded music into the network places folder...once I got that straightened out the wireless came to life...i also had another 256mb of ram laying around and that made all the difference in the world with the speed. i'm still going to advise him to upgrade to 1 Gb of ram though......thanks for everything! :thumbsup:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
No thank you for letting me know. :)