Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Visual c++ 2005 and .Net Framework Failure

• Please log in to reply

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
In that case, you would need a Windows 7 CD, which should be the same one you used to upgrade to Windows 7 (if I'm not mistaken).

Advertisements

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have HP Restore for Windows 7 from another computer, is it ok to use that? If so should I go ahead and try this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try uninstalling all the netframework versions as ron suggested then start with the olest version first and install each in order...that usually does work...

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

did you try uninstalling all the netframework versions as ron suggested then start with the olest version first and install each in order...that usually does work...

Yes I tried that again this morning. I used the Microsoft .net uninstall tool and was able to get 1.1 and 1.1sp1 to install, but 3.5 fails to install and 4.0 does not install either. I am also back to c++ 2005 constantly installing every time I run windows update. And even though I let windows update install C++ 2005, it doesn't show up as installed.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
HP Restore sounds like a CD to restore to factory settings, not to repair install. You'll need a Windows 7 CD unless you're happy restoring to its factory settings (in such case, make sure to back up your data first).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what about Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2...here

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

what about Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2...here

I run that as administrator and I get an error this product is not supported on Vista Operating system. Which is weird because I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. This computer was originally Windows Vista, but it came with the Windows 7 upgrade which I did through the upgrade disc that came with the computer.

Previously when trying to install 2.0 it states that installing 2.0 is not necessary because it comes as part of the operating system.

Edited by stroslose, 03 May 2012 - 10:17 AM.

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

In that case, you would need a Windows 7 CD, which should be the same one you used to upgrade to Windows 7 (if I'm not mistaken).

I tried using the CD you suggested (Windows 7 upgrade cd) and got the message, the version of windows you are trying to install is older than the version you are currently running. The installer then closes.

I also ran a windows 7 64-bit repair disk and that did not resolve the issue. I am able to run windows update and was successfully able to update C++ 2010, but I am still having issues with C++ 2005 and the .net framework.

Also my mouse still resets every time I restart the computer. It doesn't save my settings even after clicking apply.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
You might want to uninstall any service packs on your Windows that you did not have at the time it was upgraded to Windows 7. Then try the repair install again. See if that works.

Edited by Amlak, 03 May 2012 - 04:13 PM.

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I was able to uninstall SP1 and then run the upgrade disk which re-installed Windows 7. Now I am getting windows update failures about half the time on anything from windows security updates to .net framework updates. Sometimes the updates install other times they dont.

I am running the system update readiness tool now.

Edited by stroslose, 05 May 2012 - 08:19 AM.

Advertisements

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, after installing the system update readiness tool I still get the message no more updates so looks like everything has been fixed. I am able to run the game that was causing these problems to begin with. So thank you for your help Amlak and happyrock I appreciate it!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :thumbsup:

ogdemolisher

ogdemolisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just had this problem yesterday with a laptop that I was fixing with .NET Framework 4 it was a pain but eventually I got it fixed.
Here is what you want to do and I hope this works for you.

1.) Download this .NET Framework Cleanup Utility here
2.) Once downloaded run the tool and choose to clean all version of .NET Framework
3.) Clear your temp folder by going to run and type %temp%
4.) Restart your computer
5.) Now try to re-install the .NET Framework

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After uninstalling all the versions then run the cleanup tool. Reboot and then install the versions in chronological order. This method has worked for everyone we have suggested it to but it has to be run in the exact order or it will fail.

stroslose

stroslose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I appreciate the advice, I did as you both suggested. I ran the uninstall, then the clean up tool, cleared my temp folder, restarted, etc... I was still getting the errors with the install. My only option was to re-install the upgrade. Which I did, and everything is running smoothly now. .Net Framework is installed and windows update is working properly. Thanks again for all of your help!