Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keeps restarting when I turn it on.

• Please log in to reply

cphillips

cphillips

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

Last week I turned on my computer, scanned something and when I then tried to upload it to a website the computer just started re-starting and would not load to the point I could do anything.

Thinking it could be overheating, I shut everything down and found that the fan was caked in dust. Using compressed air I cleaned out all the dust and reconnected the computer but it still will not boot. Looking into the case with a flashlight it does not appear that the fan is turning, should it be upon start up?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi cphillips

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Many systems have a thermal sensor which will shut the system down or prevent you booting up so as to protect the CPU and other components.
In answer to your question yes the fan should be turning and the fact that it is not suggests that it may have failed or is not getting power, possibly by not being connected to the fan header on the MB (motherboard).

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It is a desktop that started out as a Dell Dimension, but I have had the power source and motherboard replaced over time.

I am thinking perhaps the fan failed due to excessive dust and will try installing a new fan.

Edited by cphillips, 30 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
First check that the fan and all other power connections are securely attached.