Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's my XP Key? (Downgraded from Vista)

• Please log in to reply

nexushackr

nexushackr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I had received this computer, it was running an activated version of XP Pro. Since then, I have reinstalled this software and now I'm unable to locate the Product Key to activate it. This computer was originally running Windows Vista Business and was downgraded to Windows XP Pro (By DELL, I think)

How am I able to activate this copy of Windows XP Pro?

"That is the process. Install any copy of XP with any product key and then ring microsoft to activate - you will then need to quote a non activated vista key and they will profide a activation key for the XP install."

Is this true?

Edited by nexushackr, 30 April 2012 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
nexushackr

Welcome to Geeks to GO

If the computer has the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label with the product key for Vista Business edition, then it appears that it falls within this parameter

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#desktop

the only people who can assist is Microsoft, your first line of enquiry and Dell, but of course they will be unlikely to help, depending on the age of the system.

The other question of course is, and no doubt it will be a subject that Microsoft will ask
"From which source have you reinstalled XP"?

So in summary contact Microsoft