Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot sequence NOT working!

• Please log in to reply

aztecaa

aztecaa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for having this forum for help!

I have an old Compaq Presario 1700T Pent 3, Wind XP Pro.

My battery is no longer accepting a charge, old, but still in PC and it fires up still, works fine. The CD Rom is working fine and can play or open anything on disk. I did all updates for windows xp professional.

ISSUE: When I get into Bios, there are only 3 tabs.
the second tab is the one where you change the sequence of how you want it to boot. After moving the CDRom one to 1st position and the HDD one to last position. I click on FN10 to save and click Y to save exit.
It is not booting up in the CDROM drive. I used to boot it up in this drive when I was using BTrack4, which I want to do again.

Can anyone tell me what has happened here!

Thanks

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Is there some option to access a quick boot list and load the CD from there? If you could check the first screen that loads on the computer when you first turn it on and see if there's another key mentioned on screen that you could press (on the keyboard) in order to access that quick list, that would be the way to go. Sometimes, it's F12 and sometimes it's some other key, depending on the model.

Also, have you tried booting from other CDs just to be sure?

As for the battery issue, have a look at this:

http://www.ehow.com/...t-notebook.html

aztecaa

aztecaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Is there some option to access a quick boot list and load the CD from there? If you could check the first screen that loads on the computer when you first turn it on and see if there's another key mentioned on screen that you could press (on the keyboard) in order to access that quick list, that would be the way to go. Sometimes, it's F12 and sometimes it's some other key, depending on the model.

Also, have you tried booting from other CDs just to be sure?

As for the battery issue, have a look at this:

http://www.ehow.com/...t-notebook.html

My battery needs to be replaced, I just wanted to make NOTE that the battery is dead in case that affects me changing the sequence to boot in CD Drive.

Edited by aztecaa, 01 May 2012 - 09:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi aztecaa

As Amlak is presently offline if I may offer an explanation;
The battery that you refer to is the BIOS/CMOS battery and what it does is provide a small constant power supply to the BIOS chip which in turn stores your boot sequence, but as your battery is dead once the main power is shut down the BIOS chip reverts back to the factory default settings which is most commonly the HDD first.
I hope this answers your question and trust that you did not mind me chiming in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My battery is no longer accepting a charge, old, but still in PC and it fires up still, works fine.

Since this is a laptop are you talking the battery you plug in when you connect to the wall?
If the system still works on the electric then it has no bearing on the bios battery. Even if the bios battery was low once the settings are saved and the system reboots it should keep the settings till power is disconnected from the laptop and it is shut off.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Fair enough. By the way, it would help us help you if you could answer the questions I asked before. Could you go over my previous post again and answer the questions?

aztecaa

aztecaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey thanks for the advice.
The regular removable battery that slides in the side is the one that's dead and won't take a charge.
The internal battery is fine and my clock etc are up to date.
Will the removable battery cause this also to happen?
It will not boot with another CD in the drive!
Thanks

Edited by aztecaa, 01 May 2012 - 11:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What cd are you trying to boot to?

aztecaa

aztecaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Backtrack 4! I have done it before about 2 years ago!

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
What happens if you were to set the BIOS to default settings?

Also, how does the laptop react when it's turned on. Does it actually attempt to boot from CD or does it quickly load Windows from the hard drive?