Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pent 2 Laptop won't power up at all after upgrade.

• Please log in to reply

anthonylitz

anthonylitz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all. This site is GREAT! But after searching for an hour I don't see the the answer to this one, so please help!! ;)

Dell Inspiron 7000 Laptop. I upgraded with a full install from Windows 2000 to Xp pro SP1. I used the laptop for a few hours and installed other software. It was reset a few times with no problems. But then when I turned it off it will not restart at all. I mean nothing, it doesn't get to POST at all.

Here is my thought, but I don't have alot of experience with this subject.
When I turned off the laptop I still got the old "It is now safe to power off.." screen. Should I have seen this screen after XP was put on?

So I am pretty stuck, since I have no power now :tazz:

Thanks so much,
Anthony

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know the laptop....but you might get that with a laptop lacking advanced power management capability

Did you check for a BIOS update?

Also, remove the power plug, remove the battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reinsert the power cord, and try start

anthonylitz

anthonylitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't know the laptop....but you might get that with a laptop lacking advanced power management capability

Did you check for a BIOS update?

Also, remove the power plug, remove the battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reinsert the power cord, and try start

View Post

"advanced power management" Is that what it's called? Unfortently no I didn't do a BIOS upgrade before turning it "permenantly off."

When I try unplugging the full battery, reinserting it and then pushing the power button the battery light just barely blinks.

:tazz: Did i ruin the laptop by not shecking for a BOIS update first?? ahhh

Anthony

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, REMOVE EVERYTHING, then press thepower button for 10 seconds, THEN reinsert power and hit power button

Not pull battery, then reinsert, then power button

anthonylitz

anthonylitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

no, REMOVE EVERYTHING, then press thepower button for 10 seconds, THEN reinsert power and hit power button

Not pull battery, then reinsert, then power button

View Post

Gotcha. I just found an article on Dell's site too, says the same thing, and shows a pic of the reset button. Thanks for the help! Going to find the small screwdriver.... :tazz:

Anthony

anthonylitz

anthonylitz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bad news... That didn't work:<

darn.
Anthony

freds72

freds72

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks Gerryf,
removing the battery and pressing the start button worked for my Mitac laptop.

Fred
:tazz: