Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection problem

• Please log in to reply

mzeal

mzeal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a problem connecting to my home wireless network. I can connect to the wireless network at my office with no problem. Other people can connect to my home network just fine. When I try, it says I have a strong signal, claims I'm connected, but I don't have an IP address, and I can't access the internet. Someone told me they thought it might be a firewall problem, but my computer is using Windows 2000 Professional, and someone else told me that Windows 2000 doesn't have a firewall. Any ideas about what I could try to fix this?

Advertisements

emanel_geekstogo

emanel_geekstogo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
open networks connections and right click on your wireless connection card. open properties. General tab-go to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) under the "this connection uses the following items:" double click it and enter an ip address usually 192.168.1.XXX where XXX is you decide and make sure it is different from other computers connected and it normally has to be a number between 100-199, subnet mask ususally 255.255.255.0, and the gateway is the wireless router's ip address! When finished click apply or ok and restart! your wireless router should pick it up! Also right click my computer and go to network id and if it says WORKGROUP make sure that is the name of your router and other computers network. If it isnt change it to whatever it is! Note make sure you try this before the tip i listed first!

-vhs2dvdsite.com

:tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Just a suggestion to try a quick fix:
when plugged in at home, click Start>Run; type cmd, press enter. At the command prompt, type; ipconfig /release, press enter. Then type ipconfig /renew, press enter. If this gives you an address, then you will probably have to do this every time you transfer locations.

Greazy Mcgeezy