Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADDING A BIGGER HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

logan5859

logan5859

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I HAVE AN EMACHINES T1100 WITH A 20GB HARD DRIVE. I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A BIGGER HARD DRIVE WITH MORE MEMORY. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO INSTALL A DVD PLAYER. WOULD I NEED A DIFFERENT COMPUTER TOWER TO INSTALL A BIGGER HARD DRIVE OR CAN IT BE INSTALLED IN THE SAME ONE. WOULD I NEED ANYTHING ELSE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN??? PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I couldnt find any specifics on the size of the case for that pc. in theory you should be able to add a hard drive and DVD easily, but your case may limit you.

I would suggest you go here, and use the live chat tech support. they will be the most familiar with the details of that machine, and should be able to help you the quickest.

logan5859

logan5859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanx for the help...ill check out the link you gave me

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks good advice from Audioboy.

If you're still stuck after that though, from what I understand about emachines, you can install a second hard drive but theres no 3.5in bays free in the case. This means you must use a 5.25in bay (CDROM sized bay) with a 3.5in drive bracket. These are available in most computer shops.

If you just wish to replace your existing hard drive however, then space won't be an issue obviously.

The other thing you will have to watch, is that there may well be a limit on the size of drive your system will recognise. (eg 64GB or 137GB max possibly)

Also, if you are using one 5.25in bay for the second hard drive, you will need another spare 5.25in bay for the DVD obviously. Just pop the side off the case & see how many of these bays you have spare.

logan5859

logan5859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanx for that info SAMM. so is there a way to save the files i have on my recent hard drive to transfer to the next?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
many hard drives ship with software for copying data to the new drive. I believe the Maxblast software can do this for many drives as well.
there are also pay versions of software for moving everything, such as norton ghost.

if you want to move your system files (the OS) over to the new drive and boot from that, you will need to use one of these programs to create an exact copy of the current data on the new drive.

logan5859

logan5859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanx again for all your help...