Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude D630

• Please log in to reply

Brutuzrawk

Brutuzrawk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hate computers so much, I am a mechanic if I want to know what is in under the hood, I pop it and have a look. Why can't computer engineers follow suit?
I am attempting to setup an external monitor after my laptop monitor has broke. The method of transmission is VGA and so far I am not sending any signal. I have done a small amount of research to discover that graphics cards can be "single output" and "dual output" Does this mean then that there is a possibility I am totally screwed?
Of the info I could extrapolate 'under the hood' my computer is using "PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0" which of course makes no mention of the distinction of single or dual output..... great.
Furthermore, upon aquiring a dell users guide I could not follow the step by step instructions to activate a "dual independent display mode" this laptop is meant to use windows XP and is operating on windows 7. Thus all the labels in all the control panel tabs are different and the process is altered!(smooth move microsoft)

So as you can see I need alot of help, but that's only if I have a dual output graphics card...... why is this info so well hidden?

-B

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Brutuzraw

Have you tried pressing the Fn and the F8 key down at the same time to toggle from the notebook to your external display?
What is the brand and model of your external display?

For anyone who may read this but not know where the Fn key is - on most if not all it is found at the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard.