Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Cpu Shutdown/Freezing/Blue Screens of Death problem..

• Please log in to reply

Houseki

Houseki

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm not sure if I'm posting in right place, but I think I have a hardware problem so I'll try posting here.

So I've had this problem for over two years now actually..

Sometimes cpu will freeze with a long beep.
Sometimes cpu will freeze and repeat the last sound that was being played right before it froze over and over.
Sometimes cpu will just shut down
Sometimes cpu will go to blue screen of death and the stop: message is different every time.
Sometimes the cpu won't turn on at all for a certain duration (one time, I had to wait several days just to turn on my cpu)

Of course I mentioned that this happened for over 2 years now but I ignored it for the most part because the problem wouldn't happen frequently, maybe a couple of times a week. Also, in the past, this problem has escalated to like 20+ times a day but for some reason, the problem became more infrequent after about a month so I just ignored it...

Now for like the past month, the crazy high frequency of 20+ a day has returned.

I think the problem was overheating, so I took the system case off and aimed my big fan right into my cpu. Seemed to solve the problem for a couple of days; however, freezing problems returned after a couple of days. Even though my CPU is constantly around 20-35 degrees C, I still am having the freezing problems.

I suspected my cpu wasn't getting enough juice because the problems would usually happen if I run a heavy program especially like an online video game so I bought a new power supply 650 wats. It seemed to solve the problem for a couple of days. Also, I cleaned out all the dust in my CPU so my computer isn't overheating as much as it was before; however, after a couple of days the problems returned...

Also, I think it's a hardware problem because I have:

Scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and scan for viruses with Avira and cleaned some stuff with CCCleaner, and defragment. There is no viruses/malware from the scans and CCCleaner/defragment doesn't seem to help.
Also, I've ran a memory test and seemed like there was no problem.

Can anyone help me understand exactly what problem my computer is having? It's been happening for so long now and its pretty frustrating. Imagine writing an essay and cpu just shuts down.. not once, twice, but 20+ times...... I'm just about ready to jump off a cliff!

Edited by Houseki, 02 May 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Houseki.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What OS is installed...XP, Vista Win7

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
"
Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?

* If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
* If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
* Total memory installed
* Total hard drive capacity and free space
* What OS is installed...XP, Vista Win7"

I'm not sure how to find information to answer any of these. For memory, local disk D says - 210 gb free of 270 gb, and local disk c says - 103 gb of 195 gb.

I attached image of fan information.

From the WhoCrashed Program:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: SAMMYOOBA-PC
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2146951168 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1936478208

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your problem is not temperatures or PSU from the picture that I can see.

I'm not sure how to find information to answer any of these. For memory, local disk D says - 210 gb free of 270 gb, and local disk c says - 103 gb of 195 gb.

This is your hard drives and not the ram memory.
Try this.

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Not sure if I did it right, but I tried copy pasting a screen shot of it.

What's chkdsk?

Attached Thumbnails

• info.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you have 2 gigs of physical ram memory installed.

Chkdsk is a internal diagnostics program that checks the disk integrity and file structure of the hard drive. I am having you run this to make sure there is no free space not reported correctly or the indexing is not messed up.

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did the chkdsk for local c and local d. Said no problems with local d. For local c, I went afk so I didn't see the message. Did you need the message?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All I need is the C drive message. If need be rerun it just on the C drive.

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It went by too fast and I didn't see any message really besides a lot of text that seem like alien language to me. Didn't seem like it had any bad messages though. What did you want me to record? Nothing stood out to me.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A couple more things we can look at.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here's the autorun text. I'm currently doing the sfc scan.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I may have found your issue.

+ "uTorrent" "µTorrent" "BitTorrent, Inc." "c:\users\sammyooba\downloads\utorrent.exe"

Do you download stuff from Utorrent and if so did this issue start after a recent download or maybe installation of something from Utorrent?

Houseki

Houseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't think its a torrent problem because I rarely ever use it. It's like an artifact on my cpu. In fact, I think I'll uninstall it.

My problem started when I was playing a computer game: Leagues of Legend. Also, my cpu tends to reboot/freeze/etc..., when I do play computer games or do something that gets my cpu really working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we will work on the assumption that it is a hardware issue. Follow the enxt instructions in order and let me know what the results are.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.