Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-DVD/RW problem

• Please log in to reply

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My CD-DVD/RW drive does not recognise blank DVD discs. It does recognise blank audio discs, and will play DVD discs. Any ideas anybody?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Highlander58.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,

Sounds like maybe the write part of the drive has failed.
Are the blanks discs able to be seen in another system?

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I haven't tried the DVDs in another system, but I have tried 2 different brands of disc. I can write to blank audio discs with no problem though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm confused now. How can it write to blank audio discs if it doesn't recognise blank audio discs :confused:

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, it's blank DVD discs it doesn't recognise. There's no problem with blank audio discs, and it will play both types of disc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then it may be the dvd writing side that is bad.
If you have tried different manufacturers discs and still no luck then I would say it is failing.
Is the drive seen in My Computer?

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The drive itself shows in My Computer, but not the blank DVD discs. I do have a second system, but that keeps crashing... I've just booted it up now, to see if it recognises the discs, and it does, so the discs aren't the problem. The DVD disc brands I have got are Kodak and Philips.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would say the write side of the dvd part is faulty.
Replacement is what I suggest.
What is wrong with the other system?

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The other system? It's a few years old now... it just keeps crashing if I try to do much on there. I'm contemplating taking it to the local repair man, if it can be cured without paying out too much, I might let him have a go.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you post the specs on the syste, and maybe I can help you fix it and it won't cost you anything but a thank you. ;)

Highlander58

Highlander58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's an HP Pavilion, with an Intel Pentium D, 2.66 GHz, 1.93 GB RAM, running Windows XP Home Edition, it has 3 hard drives.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first thing is try booting into Safe Mode With networking
Lets see if the issue happens then. If not then we could be dealing with a driver, startup or service issue. If so then we have to look at hardware then.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.