Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a CPU cooler?

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
So I'm getting my various parts for my first ever build at the moment. When I was picking them I was told I wouldn't need a CPU cooler fan, but I googled the query and the majority of answers said yes you do!

Please note that I do not intend to overclock with this setup.

- AsRock z77 Extreme 4
- Intel i7-2600k
- Antec P183 V3 ATX Mid Tower Case

Here's the full list: pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/7lng

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That looks to be the full retail version of the CPU and if so it already has a fan attached to it. Ask the company you are buying it from to make sure. To answer your question YES you have to have a cooling fan on the cpu unless you are running liquid cooling in your system.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ah yes, i just looked in the conspicuously small cpu package and it was tucked in there! 10 points to gryffindor!

Edited by Ape-x, 03 May 2012 - 01:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good find. BTW anyone that tells you that you don't need a cooling fan is either crazy or they didn't explain it as I did about the retail version already having a fan with it.
Glad to hear you found the fan there. Is it attached to the cpu alreay or does it need to be attached? Make sure you apply a pea size drop of TIM to the cpu and spread it around or you won't get good heat transfer from the cpu to the fan.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Its still in the box unattached to the CPU, but I believe it comes pre-lubed (lol) with TIM. I take it they are the light grey strips on an otherwise copper looking surface that will be touching the cpu.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TIM is a paste so hopefully it is on there already.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ape-x.

Post #5 from your topic, > http://www.geekstogo...87#entry2149687

Please remember to unplug from the wall socket when working on the computer and take anti static measures (even when handling parts) by briefly touching an unpainted part of the computer case. Have a look through this tutorial, thanks to Troy and Artellos.
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Edited by iammykyl, 03 May 2012 - 04:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FYI there is no need to start a new topic when you have a question that deals with the same issue or issues your first topic was about. I just answered the third topic for you but for future references when you have something like a build you are doing all your questions should be in the first topic.
Just a little friendly advice to help you so you don't have to keep track of multiple topics. :thumbsup: