Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 USB Problem: When anything is plugged in, WindowsExplorer.ex

• Please log in to reply

erik567

erik567

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
So, here's the problem.

Everything I use is USB. I use an ipod usb connector to sync my ipod, a usb kingston stick to transfer photos off miniSD's (plugged in and out regularly)
My mouse and keyboard are USB also, but I don't run into this problem with them.

I've run chkdsk /r a dozen times to no fix.

I can only open windowsexplorer (my pictures, random folders, etc...) when everything is unplugged except my mouse + Keyboard. Whenever I plug in the other 2 things listed above, I cannot transfer them off the miniSD or look at whats on my ipod because it'll crash ANY folder I try to open!

Any ideas whats wrong? I've been googling this forever and couldn't find a fix, so i'm posting here.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Posted Image

note: the IDE Controller has a yellow ! next to it because setup.exe crashes whenever I try to install the driver. I'm guessing that's another problem!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that could be the issue. Try the below and when you get the screen with all the suggested updates please get as many screenshots that it takes to get them all and attach them in your next post. From there I will advise where to start updating.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion but can you see if your mouse or keyboard will work if you plug it into one of the slots where you plug in the slot where you plug one of these in ipod usb connector to sync my ipod, a usb kingston stick to transfer photos off miniSD's
I'm just wondering if it may be a faulty connector.

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Plugged my mouse into the front port, works.

Here's what driver max told me:

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the order you want to get is:
  • USB Input Device
  • ATI\IO Communications Processor SmBus Controller
  • Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
  • PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge
  • PCI standard ISA Bridge

After that then it doesn't matter what order you get the rest in. You can only get 2 a day so it will take you at least 3 days just to get the ones I posted above. Remember after every installation try the system and see if the USB now works.

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ok, tried the first 2 to no avail, will come back each day and keep you updated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sounds good. I really thought one of those first two would have been the culprit. :confused:

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I actually didnt get the SMBus one today, i'll get that tomorrow. Did I say the first 2? before you posted I installed the 1st and 3rd one.

Ugh, I wish I could download more in one day ! :P

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it is a limit to DriverMax being the free version.
I know you want to get it resolved but this may take a couple of days to get it right :unsure:
Don't lose patience as we will get it.
Tomorrow get the 2nd and 4th ones. :thumbsup:

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I got the 2nd and fourth ones installed, still windows explorer crashes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK continue on with the next ones down the list now.
While you are waiting for the next two that you can download please do the following.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another member\ soon to be staff and I have been talking about your issue. Oddly enough she found this topic HERE which may help you with your issue.

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Another member\ soon to be staff and I have been talking about your issue. Oddly enough she found this topic HERE which may help you with your issue.

\I've run chkdsk many times and it didnt help. actually before hand my computer was running super slow due to some other issue (my friend thought it was my hard drive) but then I ran chkdsk and everything runs fine, except for the usb ports!

Maybe run chkdsk /r with the stuff plugged in?

Also I followed those instructions... but what would I delete in device manager? it says "Now delete all the entries related to the malfunctioning USB drive or device by right clicking the corresponding entry (entries) and select Uninstall." but how do you know whats hidden?

Thanks!

edit: I haven't ran /f /r though. just chkdsk /r. Is it worth the 6 hours it take to try out /f /r?

Edited by erik567, 05 May 2012 - 05:29 PM.