Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 image stuck in boot loop when run as VM

• Please log in to reply

technista

technista

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A client sent me a post-sysprep image to turn into a VM. When I ghost this image onto a physical PC, it runs fine. When I try ghosting this image onto a VM, it makes it past the "Starting Windows" screen and moves to a screen that says "Setup is starting services". After about 30 seconds on this screen, it loops back to the BIOS and begins again. When I try it in Safe Mode, it gets passed the page where everything loads, moves to the "Setup is starting services" page, then pops-up a dialog box saying "Windows can not complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows reset the computer." When I take the hard drive from the physical computer and try using it as the storage for a VM, it loops the same way, but I don't think it makes it to the "Setup is starting services" screen.
I have tried installing a clean Windows on a VM, which works well, as using the hard drive from a computer running a clean install as the VM's storage, which also boots up without a problem.
The image is from a large enterprise with a wonderful IT team, so I don't think there's something inherently wrong with it. (Though clearly something the VM doesn't like)
I'm using KVM on CentOS to make/run the VMs.

I think I'm way out of my league here ~ Help!! - Natalie

Attached Files

Edited by technista, 05 May 2012 - 12:48 PM.

Advertisements

technista

technista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
By comparison, the next screen that it reaches when I ghost the physical computer says "Setup is installing devices"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Your computer has to support BIOS/CPU Virtualization. If it doesn't then you will see this kind of error.

I spent weeks trying to get Win 7 to run as a Oracle VirtualBox guest and finally determined it was caused by the lack of CPU Virtualization support.

technista

technista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can run a Windows 7 VM as a clean install fine. It's this image that refuses to be virtualized.