Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to load page in Firefox - intermittent

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

In your opinion, should I discontinue my Verizon Internet Security Suite (it's been uninstalled)? I pay $5.99 a month for it

yep...drop em like a hot rock... :thumbsup:

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Also here is a program that will advise if a website is safe or not along with the built in webreb tool in avast you should enjoy safe browsing.
http://www.mywot.com/en/download

Let me know how things go after completing my last set of instructions hope all is well on your end. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Also you can purchase Malwarebytes as I suggested

nope don't buy it either...just update and run the free version every couple of weeks...

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Also you can purchase Malwarebytes as I suggested

nope don't buy it either...just update and run the free version every couple of weeks...

Wont hurt to have added protection the choice is yours to purchase but I still suggest that you do.With all respect to Happyrock. :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Make sure that your settings in Ccleaner are the same as the shots below. (note that these shots are from my machine which is running vista so some things may be a bit diff on your machine)

Ccleaner.jpeg Ccleaner2.jpeg Cleaner3.jpeg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Feverpitch

Without wishing to detract your attention away from the real issue at hand here, my colleague happyrock gave you, what I agree with as the best advice.

For the normal everyday computer user, it is unnecessary to purchase malwarebytes

See this link from the malwarebytes site
http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

A good free anti-virus, such as Microsoft Securitry Essentials, Avast or Avira, the FREE malwarebytes as an additional scan (the free one does not provide ANY real time protection) the very useful WOT monitor sugested by my colleague rockmilk, sensible browsing and the checking of any unknown email attachments, using malwarebytes, on the right click and scan with, together with your updates to JAVA and Adobe which are two large security weaknesses when out of date - regularly exploited as a medium for malware, will keep you safe.

I have posted because we at Geeks to Go - would NEVER wish you to have the impression that we are saying that a purchase of an anti-virus or a scan such as provided by Malwarebytes is necessary.

The advantage of using malwarebytes, as an additional scan, to support your regular anti virus, is that malwarebytes is based on what is known as a heuristic scan - in simple terms, it looks for evidence of malware based on a different principle of examination of your system to many regular anti-virus programs. Exactly the same search is made with the free version, as with the purchased version.

In summary - purchase is unncessary

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Feverpitch

Without wishing to detract your attention away from the real issue at hand here, my colleague happyrock gave you, what I agree with as the best advice.

For the normal everyday computer user, it is unnecessary to purchase malwarebytes

See this link from the malwarebytes site
http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

A good free anti-virus, such as Microsoft Securitry Essentials, Avast or Avira, the FREE malwarebytes as an additional scan (the free one does not provide ANY real time protection) the very useful WOT monitor sugested by my colleague rockmilk, sensible browsing and the checking of any unknown email attachments, using malwarebytes, on the right click and scan with, together with your updates to JAVA and Adobe which are two large security weaknesses when out of date - regularly exploited as a medium for malware, will keep you safe.

I have posted because we at Geeks to Go - would NEVER wish you to have the impression that we are saying that a purchase of an anti-virus or a scan such as provided by Malwarebytes is necessary.

The advantage of using malwarebytes, as an additional scan, to support your regular anti virus, is that malwarebytes is based on what is known as a heuristic scan - in simple terms, it looks for evidence of malware based on a different principle of examination of your system to many regular anti-virus programs. Exactly the same search is made with the free version, as with the purchased version.

In summary - purchase is unncessary

Really. :confused:

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
So I did all of the above. That CCleaner did its thing amazingly fast, but CHKDSK took longer than building Rome. lol So now I have WOT, Malwarebytes, Avast, Autoruns, and CCleaner.

RE:
You can just register Avast and you get it free for a year and after that year expires then just re-register.

Haven't figured out how to do that, Rockmilk, but it's probably something simple. so a screen shot would help, please. Thanks. I really, really appreciate all this information, guys. I'm not sure how WOT works to warn me if I'm on a risky site, but that's probably the only thing I liked about the Verizon Security Suite. And now it's history, Happyrock. :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Don't forget, the most recent recommendations of geekstogo staff are found in the Free Antivirus and Antispyware thread, with a detailed discussion on the best software out there! :happy:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here is a screen shot you will first need to double click the Avast Icon on the bottom right to see this screen.Then see the shots below.

register.jpeg

Next step.

register2.jpeg

And Finally fill out the info and then hit the green register for free license button.I had to uninstall Avast to get you these shots but wanted to make the instrcutions as clear as possible I really hope this and what I have posted helps you out a bit and just out of curiosity is your machine running any faster since following the steps that I laid out for you?

register3.jpeg

Have a great day. :)

Advertisements

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Everything seems to be working just a little faster than before. Certainly feels as if I have a cleaned-up system. I'll definitely be registering for that 1-yr license. What I like about Avast is that it runs quickly in the background at startup and didn't take forever to download like Verizon's suite. And there's a voice with it. Always nice when there's a human touch included.

Thanks for helping me make a change for the better!!!

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Everything seems to be working just a little faster than before. Certainly feels as if I have a cleaned-up system. I'll definitely be registering for that 1-yr license. What I like about Avast is that it runs quickly in the background at startup and didn't take forever to download like Verizon's suite. And there's a voice with it. Always nice when there's a human touch included.

Thanks for helping me make a change for the better!!!

No problem Glad to be of service you can also defrag your machine on a bi-monthly basis here is a great program to do that. :)
http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Here is the direct link to Auslogics disk defrag just when you install it make sure that you un-check anything else that may be bundled with the program. :)
http://www.auslogics...efrag-setup.exe

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks for the defragmenter. Everything's working great.