Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with a PC build (NZXT Phantom, LGA 2011 socket)

• Please log in to reply

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ugh...little late for changing parts list

Just got home with the pc

you should take a look at the corsair H100(huge!) or the H80(a perfect fit).

I read somewhere that it won't fit in my case (nzxt phantom).

And i won't be overclocking it by much at start. If i see the temps rising by a lot i might get a new watercooler if necessary.

So i'll be back later once i've finished the build

Advertisements

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
....It's a beast

Will post some benchmarks and stuff the weekend :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Look forward to that.
You can put pics in G2G, > My Profile, > Gallery.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The only slight problem i have with the build is that i haven't found the wire for the chassis power button...will dig for it later.

Going to run pcmark 7 now, if you guys want any other benchmarks just let me know.

Gonna upload some pics once i clear out all the boxes the pc came in :) quite the mess here at the moment :whistling:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Do not throw out any boxes, packaging or paperwork. If you do have to RMA a part and do not return it as you received it, you may void the warranty.

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey im having problems with my sound im not getting anything.. we have the same case and mobo... for the power you have to use the white adapter thing that came with the mobo.. pg 2-46 of the manual

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks lao :D will try fixing it then.

As for the sound, working fine for me with my logitech g930. I do remember coming across an internal speaker, that you have to install, during my build. I haven't put it in yet

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

I do remember coming across an internal speaker,

The internal system speaker receives it signals via the BIOS, omitting a beep code which indicates a good or bad POST. It will have no effect on the Sound System (whether you connect it, or not) as it is completely separate from the BIOS beep signals.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

It will have no effect on the Sound System

Yeah i know, was getting on to remove the post hehe...Was tired as [bleep] when i wrote it.

Couple small questions about my system for you.

1. You wouldn't happen to know anything about nvidia 3d vision? Having trouble playing 3d videos. (Just if you know something, don't spend time researching. I'll make a new thread at the right place if i can't figure it out)
2. Got any suggestion on what benchmark i should use?
3. I removed the back fan in my case in order to fit the liquid cooling system. Should i try to install it elsewhere in my case?

Edit:
Profanity not allowed? Sorry about that...

Edited by Jakob1406, 09 June 2012 - 09:47 AM.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay big problem now.

My computer won't start. CPU fan turns on (quite loudly) along with the case fans, but that's about it. It all started yesterday right before I was going to bed. I left my computer on and went out of the room to watch tv. When I got back the screen was black and the fans where running crazy. My system was idling when I left it, and I've never seen temps go over 35C, so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

Anyone got a clue what's wrong?

I'll supply more info on request if nececcary

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

NB: Is the CPU cooling system securely attached?

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Phill, you're the best. In times like these your quick responses are golden.

Luckily i managed to solve my little problem by plugging back the wire that had dropped out of my PSU hehe. Probably should have cracked open my case before crying for help here.

NB: Is the CPU cooling system securely attached?

Yes, very securely attacked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:
I am pleased to hear that you have resolved the issue and that you have also checked your other hardware and found no problems :spoton:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Also glad you fixed it.
Just out of interest, what little wire coming out caused the issue? Maybe one to look for in the future for troubleshooting problems.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Just out of interest, what little wire coming out caused the issue?

ATX power connectors (dual 4 pins), they came out of the PSU. So yeah if someone is experiencing the same issue that i did (fans running, no boot), that could be the solution.

Speaking of those power connectors...In my manual there's a picture of 1 4-pin and 1 8-pin, but on my board there's 2 4-pins. Should i be concerned?

Edited by Jakob1406, 10 June 2012 - 08:31 AM.