Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with a PC build (NZXT Phantom, LGA 2011 socket)

• Please log in to reply

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey jakob.. i think one of them is an 8 pin but half of it is covered (if ur talking about the ones that are near the top of the case).. After playing around with it, it seems that just the isolated 4 pin slot needs a power connection. I think it powers the error code lcd thats on the board. Lemme know what you figure out. So far my system is running smoothly except for my dead on board sound.

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
One more thing. If your board is the same as mine, the on board fan to the lower right is really loud. It spins 100% on default. To fix it go in to BIOS > monitoring > control fan speed > change pch fan from disabled to user. Here you will be able to make it spin up when temps exceed 60 and otherwise at a lower speed which will be inaudible.. cheers

Edited by kung lao, 11 June 2012 - 08:24 AM.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the info Lao :D

I'm always using a headset so the sound isn't really bothering me at all :) i usually prefer cooling over sound

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey how are your temps with the intel cooler? Did you OC yet. Tried the auto-oc tool in bios but failed miserably just on the normal profile.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
kung lao
I have responded to your topic here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

jakob 1406 & kung lao

Overclocking, is generally a course to be completely avoided, unless you know exactly what you are doing.
It is as I am sure you know, generally speaking, in simple terms, driving components beyond their manufacturered design speed and performance.

It is basically accomplished by altering voltages, timings, and other settings in the BIOS.

It is so widely mentioned by the CPU, graphics, memory manufacturers and suppliers, that many people are amazed, if and when they do research, the issue, they discover the dangers.

The golden rule, if you insist on doing it, is to monitor closely the temperatures and always take it one step at a time.

Even with the extreme protection built in to todays processors, that will usually shut down or revert to default mode, if they detect problems the risk is still there.

The demand for the capability to overclock was brought about by consumer demand, to avoid the necessity to upgrade components when a new game for instance demanded a defferent processor or graphics GPU.

Even with the automated OC facilities now included on many motherboards and CPU`s, it is still a risk and will if it is not done correctly result in damage to a component - often not immediately of course.

Intel offers a sort of overclock insurance
http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

AMD as far as I know does not

Overclocking ram
http://www.corsair.c...e_overclocking/

AMD Overclocking guide
http://sites.amd.com...uning_Guide.pdf

Intel overlcocking guide
http://www.intel.com...processors.html

Please accept that giving you the best advice - OVERCLOCK only when you discover a real need to - not as the general rule of thumb.

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the info dude, and sry for hijacking jakob. Macboatmaster, I tried to OC the cpu because when I slightly oc the gpu it works with every game except bf3. First I researched for the most stable drivers, tried those, but no joy. I figured since BF3 pushes the CPU more than most games with hyper-threading and all, OC'ing would probably help out- I may be completely wrong but I thought it was worth a shot.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Cannot help with the actual game, as I do not game.

Thanks for posting

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey,

Haven't tried OCing it yet, and neither will I anytime soon. I bought the 3930k so that i would have the option in the future when gaming demands it. Before i even attempt doing it i'll read extensively on the subject.

Lao, i read that the supplied auto OC is not very good or safe. If you want to OC i suggest you find someone with a similar setup as you have (same processor and cooler) and use their settings, that way you know it'll work. And go easy on it at first.

Thanks for the info Macboat, i'll definitely consider that OC plan Intel offers. I'm actually surprised they do that. Thumbs up Intel.

Oh and one more thing Lao. I'm pretty sure it's your GPU giving you trouble on battlefield 3. As far as i know only to top graphic cards run it on ultra (gtx 690). I haven't tested it on my gtx 680 yet, but if I buy the game i'll let you know how it performs

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Are you saying that the temperature is the most important factor and that damage wont occur while temperatures are in check?
I did an overclock to about 4.3 GHz and after a few minutes of prime I had the temps shown in the picture

https://6hltga.sn2.l...tled.png?psid=1

would this be considered a stable clock?

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

https://6hltga.sn2.l...tled.png?psid=1

Can't access it, could you use the image function on the forums?

From what i've read, the only way of telling if it's stable is to run it for at least 24 hours

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks for the tip jakob..(just saw ur previous post).. Regarding you latest post, my bad about the picPosted Image

The reason why I came up with that conclusion is that all other games even on extreme OC'ing will not crash. BF3 crashes with just a 20 MHz push on the core clock :S

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

Go to

BF3 and get the

latests

patch and see if that helps.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Are you completely sure it's your processor that's causing the trouble?

If you're serious about the OC i would suggest trying a small OC, let's say 4ghz. After you've done that, use the AI suite that comes with the mobo to check temps for 24 hours (there's a function that allows you to record for that long).

Again, i highly doubt it's your CPU causing BF3 to crash.

EDIT: after seeing your post about the auto OC on our MoBo not working i decided to test it. Pushed my CPU up to 4,25ghz without a problem.

Edited by Jakob1406, 18 June 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Quick question.

After reading a bit about temps and overclocking etc i ran Prime95 just to check how hot my system gets at 100% CPU usage. Should i be worried by 63C? That's at stock clock speed with the turbo on.
I can install extra fans in my case, so I just want you input before doing it.

My CPU idles at 28-30C and does about 45C gaming.
Average room temperature is 24C

Looking forward to your reply :)

EDIT:
Ah and while i'm at it, got a question about storage.

I've realized that it's almost time to get that 1tb HDD. While i was browsing my parts list before building my computer i came across a small SSD you can attach to your conventional HDD that works like a cache. The result of this is close to SSD speeds with the storage capacity of a normal HDD.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148564

In their example they did this with the primary HDD, so my question is will this work on my second HDD? I don't want it messing with any of the files i already have on my main disk

Edited by Jakob1406, 26 June 2012 - 06:41 PM.

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey jakob. As far as I know you can do caching with any ssd but it's only worthwhile if your ssd is small. I think the technology is called Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

http://www.overclock...ogy-ssd-caching

I was considering this myself, but since I have a 120 gb ssd, I just installed the OS to the ssd.

Regarding the second hdd, I think the intel caching only works with one ssd + one hdd. If you have a third i guess you can use it as storage. The ssd and hdd will be setup in a RAID configuration thus being read as one drive. Also, I think caching uses a maximum of 50 gb on a ssd so if you have a bigger one its probably not worthwhile as you will be able to access the unused ssd space once it is in RAID. I'm sure someone else will verify this.

Oh. and you will more than likely have to do a fresh install to yield maximum performance from this setup. Good Luck!