Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x8E stop message

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK can you give me the brand, make and model of it and i will manually do a search and try to find the newest driver for it.
You have Win XP correct and how long have you had the mouse installed on your system?

Advertisements

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
It's Genius GM-04003A...yes I have Win XP...this mouse is installed since 2007

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like it mostly uses the OS driver but some functions may not work without the driver. Newest driver I am seeing anywhere is version 7 which was released years ago.

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I see...any other solution(s) maybe?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might try this and see if it replaces the driver for you.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I tried but without success, I'm still having this message on my desktop. I made one more screenshot of Device Manager ( I clicked View then Show hidden devices and saw yellow warnings. Also tried to update but got the same message)

Attached Thumbnails

• mouse problem.JPG

Edited by Andro, 21 May 2012 - 03:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try both methods of the SFC?

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Yes...in both cases system says that I need to insert Windows CD...I did so and when sfc came to an end of check nothing happened.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK did was it trying to replace any files during the scan when it asked for the cd?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hope it is alright to drop in with a couple of suggestions

I launched TuneUp Utilities 2011

and then you had a BSOD
In my opinion, many of your problems will have been caused by the use of this - Tune Up Utilities and the Regcure program you have.

Taking Tune Up Utilities first
http://www.tune-up.c...ities/features/

Please be assured that many of the claims on this site are best described as garbage. I appreciate that you may find that remark upsetting, but I can tell you, that these programs and any other make it go faster programs have no place on your computer.
They frequently achieve little and regularly cause havoc

and the same goes for reg clean pro by systweak
http://systweak.com/registrycleaner/

It may well be that these programs, in their attempt to enhance your system and as Tune Up utilities suggests - optimization with faster speed and performance -
are disabling services, changing startup items, stopping processes etc. , as this is how they attempt to work.

Certainly something or someone has been altering Add-ons in your browser.

Additionally you many unnecessary programs running at startup.

2. You also have
AdAware by Lavasoft
If it is the latest, despite its name it is also an anti virus
http://www.lavasoft.com/

not, in my opinion, the one to use when you have the AVIRA

However you also have as your main protection
AVIRA

and you have Spybot Search and Destroy.

TRY disabling AdAware and Spybot. HOWEVER ensure AVIRA is running please, and updated before you do so.

I notice you use Torrent downloads - depending on what you are using it for a prime way to acquire infections.

4. I would also recommend AFTER you have tried, with the disabling of those AdAware and Spybot - IF that does not produce a result
a clean boot and se if it still crashes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

PLEASE ENSURE you go only as far as and including step 3 otherwise you will dlete your restore points.

5. If that DOES NOT WORK - then explore if it still crashes WITHOUT opening a browser.
It may well be a BHO Browser Helper Object or add-on.
In that regard I would go to Tools button on IE - Manage Add-ons and I would delete/disable most of those toolbars and extensions you have
Then explore Acceterators and search providers.

On Firefox it is Tools, Add-ons

However you may find it easier to go start and programs and the accessories and then system tools and start IE without add-ons from there.

On Firefox open firefox and on help - safe mode
http://support.mozil...tslug=Safe+Mode

Finally subject to what my good colleague rshaffer61 advises you, I would, if you come out of this with the sysytem running without BSOD, uninstall that Tune Up and regcure and stay away from them.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Finally subject to what my good colleague rshaffer61 advises you, I would, if you come out of this with the sysytem running without BSOD, uninstall that Tune Up and regcure and stay away from them.

100% agree :thumbsup:

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
First of all tnx Macboatmaster for your recommendations!

@rshaffer61: No...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK with SFC when it asks for the disk then that means it is trying to repair a file or replace it. Do you not have the OS installation disk?

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I understand now...I have two installation CD's but one of them is at my friends house so I guess this one I have at home is not the right one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The installation disk has to be the same as the OS that is installed.
We know it is XP but you have to make sure it is the right version of XP. Home, Media or Pro with the right SP also.