Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x8E stop message

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is the mouse ps2, serial or wireless?
How about the keyboard also?
Is the XP disk upgrade, original or a burned copy?
We could try a parallel installation or just go for the ultimate with a format and fresh install.

Advertisements

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
The mouse&keyboard are USB, XP is burned copy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK do you have a standard ps2 connection for the mouse and keyboard on your motherboard and if so do you have the ps2 mouse and keyboard you can use to do the repair installation?
Burned copies I have ever been a fan of to be honest because they always seem to be missing files.
Can you borrow one from a friend as long as it is the same version you have installed.

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I think it is standard ps2 connection, I'm not sure. Can you check please, my computer is HP Compaq Microtower dx 2300.

I have another mouse and keyboard, I already tried to replace them while Windows setup was working but it was the same. They were working until that message with "Files needed"
appeared.

What if can I borrow, copy of Windows or mouse/keyboard?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A ps2 is a round connection and you simply cannot plug it in while the system is running. You take the chance of burning the connection out that way.
If you borrow a XP it has to be the same as you have installed or the serial number will not work.

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Tnx for that I didn't know I can cause any damage!

I borrowed a XP from my friend but it was almost the same. The only difference was that the mouse&keyboard worked this time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that means the OS is going to be replaced. So instead of doing a repair installation lets try to do a parallel installation. Pay close attentions to the instructions as you can save your data and move it over after the installation is completed.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
This method worked without problems! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system is back up and running now? Were you able to move the data over as instructed in the post above?
How is the system running now?
Once you have verified everything is working correctly we will get rid of the old installation.
BTW are you now being given a choice of what OS you want to boot to when you start your system?

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Yes...all files are in Documents and Settings folder under my old name.
I think the system is running ok, faster then before but that's because there is no programs installed I guess.
Yes, I have two Microsoft Windows Professional options now I want to boot to when I start.

I tried to reinstall all drivers but none of them is working...it appears like I didn't install them at all! Is that because there is an old Windows installation as well?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The last line of the installation instructions.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

You can copy that to the new installation in the same location and you should be ok.
The reason for the option to boot is because you have 2 Windows installations now. I don't want to get rid of the option till you are sure everything is working.

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I copied all files to the new installation...will I be able to install needed drivers now (when we get rid of that old installation)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
While in the new installation Windows please do the following.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Andro

Andro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I don't have the internet connection on the new windows installation so I did a screenshot and paste it with my USB key...

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver problems.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep your screenshot shows why you have no internet.
Now do you have a drivers disk for the motherboard or the system itself?
If not can you refresh my memory on what the system make and model is and I will find the correct driver for you. :thumbsup: