Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

notepad programing

• Please log in to reply

thayne182

thayne182

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi if some one could plz help i want to make a program using notepad that can copy two file and past them in a folder on windows

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Hi if some one could plz help i want to make a program using notepad that can copy two file and past them in a folder on windows

Hey there thayne,

Well there are a number of ways to go about doing what it is you want to do... Assuming that this is all that you want to do, I think the easiest would be to use what is called "Batch" programming. You do not require a compiler and the coding logic is reasonably easy to understand. Although I must say it is extremely limited comparing it to other programming languages.

All you will require is your notepad and some knowledge about command prompt... If you require to do more advanced things, you might need to read a little bit more into "Batch" programming.

First start off by opening up Notepad... You can copy and paste this code in there if you like:

:: This will disable your code being outputted directly
@ echo off
:: This is the command prompt command for copying a file
copy "file1.docx" "C:\file1.doc"
copy "file2.docx" "C:\file2.doc"
:: This next command doesn't actually check for success of the copying (But is for illastration purposes on outputting text only)
echo  Files have been copied successfully!
:: This is just so that you can see what is being outputted
PAUSE
The next step is saving the file so that it can be executed...
It will require you to save the file as a ".bat" file extension. So when saving it in notepad and the "Save" dialog window comes up make sure that "Save as type:" is set to "All Files" and that your file name ends with the extension ".bat". Eg. "myProgram.bat"

That's like the very bare basics in response to your question! There are a number of ways to code what you want in batch, this I would reckon is the most simplest. If you like you can see other simple commands, do this by typing "help" in command prompt (Not all these work in batch programming, but can give you an idea of command prompt commands). Again there is alot more you can do in batch programming, including conditions, loops, ect. If you need anymore assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Peace Out :cool:

thayne182

thayne182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx

Edited by thayne182, 07 May 2012 - 02:14 PM.

bogovica

bogovica

• Pip
  • 1 posts

pleasee help me how can I make a program in notepad that when you open it, it will open a web browser (or any application) and after 20 minutes shutdown a computer. I know how to shutdown a computer, but how do you run a program and how do you set a notepad make two actions. Please help I need solution as soon as possible.