Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop over heating issue..

• Please log in to reply

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hello, I have a laptop and I noticed a some would say an heating issue and slow performance.. cpu goes to about max 75c.

i5 460m 2.5ghz
8gb ddr3
nvidia geforce 460m 1.5gb ddr5

Toshiba X505

Edited by SweetHeart161, 08 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where is the laptop laying when you have the issue happening?
Recommended flat hard surface and not on a pillow or blanket that can impede airflow under the unit. Another option is a laptop cooling mat that will raise the laptop and create more airflow under it thus keeping it cooler. Make sure the vents are clear of all dust.

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Well I actually made my own cooling pad with a blow wind like [bleep] flat table fan.. I was reading about speed step throttling where if the laptop gets hot the cpu deg-rates performance to protect itself from damage due to over heating.. and I re-flashed bios.. fan used to make noise when the lappy was leaned facing straight up..(Toshiba replaced both fans and GPU a while back before I noticed the noise) but it stopped and hasn't done it since and only happens when I lean it up .. fan moves freely when blown on. I noticed I don't hear my fans max out anymore.. I mean I hear them increase during game play.. but I thought they used to be louder.. Is there anyway I can adjust registry to increase fan speed or acpi settings? can a virus cause the throttling issue? Is ther anyway to check acpi configurations?

Edited by SweetHeart161, 08 May 2012 - 01:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to check in the bios to see if there is a fan speed adjustment.
The warmer the cpu runs the slower it will work as you said to protect the cpu.
The other variable is depending on the ambient air temp in the room it will affect the temp inside the fan.

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Could a acpi rootkit cause the fans to not run properly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Only way to know that is to go through malware and have them check that out. If there is any chance of a infection it is important that you have it checked otu before we continue any further here.

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 8 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Passionateman

Passionateman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If the problem can not be solved, try to buy a notebook cooler, it should help a bit

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Other than taking it to shop I see noway to fix it.. I was just wondering if there was some IT tool that could configure fan speeds that wasn't on the market or tricks or something..? I do have a laptop cooler i built myself..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Fans can only be controlled if connected directly to the motherboard. Being a laptop then that is not a issue and speedfan should be able to do the trick.
If the fans are already showing 100% speed then no there is no way to make them go any faster.

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
how do i do a external port scan to see what ports are open from the outside?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That I couldn't tell you as I am not a network person.
You might ask in your active topic with Ztrucker and Rockmilk.

SweetHeart161

SweetHeart161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
:rolleyes: So.. do you think i'm getting hacked or what? dunno why they locked the account what a jip..it's as if they didn't want to help me.. didn't have to lock the forum.. :angry:

Edited by SweetHeart161, 20 May 2012 - 01:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They shut the other topic down because it's the same system and you have a topic with it already opened. Everything can be handled within the one topic. I myself don't think you are being hacked at all.

didn't have to lock the forum.. :angry:

They only locked your topic and not the forum. If when the other topic is resolved and the issue is not completed then we can reopen the topic. Personally I see nothing wrong as ports open and close all the time. I think and have since reading your topic what you have is a hardware issue. I understand what the ISP is telling you but I have had the same issue with my ISP and after weeks of complaining they replaced hardware to find out I was right.